Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I read here (can't find it!) that thyroid meds should be given either before or after meals? Can anyone answer this? Does it make any difference?
I have a foster on soloxine, along with several other meds. Online, it says it can be given with meals, but I could swear I read differently here.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Our vet said it didn't matter when the medication was given but you're right I have read here and other places that it absorbs better if given without a meal. I try to give Pippa her medication two hours after her meals.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Dr. Jean Dodds recommends one hour before eating or three hours after.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My vet didnt say that but after reading it here and from Jean Dodds he agrees.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My vet also says an hour before or 3 after a meal. FWIW, the human version also says to take on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Just be aware that going from giving the med on a full stomach to giving on an empty stomach may can an increase in the amount of the medicine absorbed. And you may not realize it for 30 days. So you would want to ask your vet if you should the blood levels in a month.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I take synthroid and it recommends taking 1 hour before ot 3 hours after a meal.
I would think it would be the same for a dog.

Ditto to BajaOklahoma on it affecting the amount absorbed by the body. If she was given her initial doses on a full stomach and you give it to her on an empty stomach (or vice versa) her dose might need to be adjusted.

Good luck with your foster girl!

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Dr. Jean Dodds recommends one hour before eating or three hours after.
I just started Hali on a "trial" with Dr. Dodds and that is exactly what she told me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts