Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, at the hunt tests today there was a guy there with his lab (part of lab national) that was going for his MH. We were asking him a bunch of questions, but now he's got me all mixed up.
He said that the WC/WCX is an AKC title, I had thought it was a GRCA (or other parent club) title. Who is correct?
Also, he said that the rules for labs are the same as the rules for goldens, but a friend of ours who has labs had told us previously that golden rules are a little different.
AND the land portion of the WC was just 1 bird, I thought it was a double in the GRCA WC? AND they were using the big slingshots for the WC, I thought that was expressly forbidden (in GRCA rules?).
HELP!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Lab WC/WCX is different from the Golden one :)

When we were training for it with my Lab, it was a single mark on land and then two in sucession in the water (not a double though). Here's the Lab description: http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_contents.php?page=Working+Certificate

The WC/WCX is not a title. It's a certificate given by the AKC, I believe, but the parent clubs set the standard for it.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's in keeping with what I saw today, a single on land and then two singles in water.
Is the golden WC a double and two singles?

The Lab WC/WCX is different from the Golden one :)

When we were training for it with my Lab, it was a single mark on land and then two in sucession in the water (not a double though). Here's the Lab description: http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_contents.php?page=Working+Certificate

The WC/WCX is not a title. It's a certificate given by the AKC, I believe, but the parent clubs set the standard for it.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
The WC and WCX are GRCA awards. The AKC does not recognize either.

The LRCA sanctions the WC for Labradors. The WC test for Labradors is different than the WC test for Goldens. Labs need only complete a single on land and back to back singles on the water.

The WC for Golden Retrievers requires a double marked retrieve on land and back to back single retrieves on the water. The WCX for Golden Retrievers requires a triple marked retrieve on land, a double marked retrieve on the water and an honor.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!
so between now and next May, that's where I need to be!
a silly question...do you have to have a WC before you can get a WCX (hey, might as well dream big, right??)

The WC and WCX are GRCA awards. The AKC does not recognize either.

The LRCA sanctions the WC for Labradors. The WC test for Labradors is different than the WC test for Goldens. Labs need only complete a single on land and back to back singles on the water.

The WC for Golden Retrievers requires a double marked retrieve on land and back to back single retrieves on the water. The WCX for Golden Retrievers requires a triple marked retrieve on land, a double marked retrieve on the water and an honor.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
thanks!
so between now and next May, that's where I need to be!
a silly question...do you have to have a WC before you can get a WCX (hey, might as well dream big, right??)
You do not. In the test I judged two weeks ago, there was one dog that was entered in both the WC and the WCX.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks!
The reason I asked, really, is that WC/WCX are so hard to come by in this area, if I can't find one for almost a year, well, maybe we could enter both, too!
Like I said, dream big.....

You do not. In the test I judged two weeks ago, there was one dog that was entered in both the WC and the WCX.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
thanks!
The reason I asked, really, is that WC/WCX are so hard to come by in this area, if I can't find one for almost a year, well, maybe we could enter both, too!
Like I said, dream big.....

Up in this neck of the woods there is only one event per year. If you miss it, you'll have to load up the dogs and drive to find one.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Yes you can run both, or one before the other, anything goes.
There is only one golden WC/X in the state per year but there is a flat coat club that puts one on in the spring that we can enter, just have to get some paperwork signed.
I'd like to run the WCX again this year but it's the same day as Florida vs. Vandy.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sure, now that I'm hooked, I can't find events...

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
sure, now that I'm hooked, I can't find events...
Sounds like a good reason to make a trip south in say January or February. :) Making a short 3 day weekend trip to a warm climate would make the winter pass a little quicker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts