Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Summer Lynn and I are totally bonded. Not necessarily in a healthy way. Although she had no problem with the separation part of the CGC test. She and I spent eight weeks on the floor when she had her double TPO and was paralyzed. I was with her in the hospital and was the only one who could put her to sleep while she stayed there.

With that said, she has been using her voice to tell me something and I can't figure out what it might be. Yesterday, she got frustrated and actually used a low but definite growl. I am wondering if she could be in pain or could she be trying to communicate boredom? Since I have no idea what she is trying to tell me, I usually grab a ball and try to play with her to take her mind off what she might want.

Has anyone else experienced this and is this normal for dogs? Summer is does not bark unless she is trying to alert me to a stranger. She was taught not to bark in puppy class. I have never read anything about this form of
communication. Am I off base????

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
A growl isn't always aggressive. Rookie has a really cute, low growl that comes out only when we play tug of war. It's not an aggressive growl, it's strictly playful. If you grab a ball every time he makes that noise, he's going to learn to use that sound to tell you he wants to play.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you about associating the sound with play. It isn't always a growl. Sometimes it's a whine~a very long whine~ with those brown eyes looking so pathetic. It's only been going on for a month or so. Now I'm thinking that she has found a new way to train me! She uses her nose to get me off the computer, her bell to go outside, her paw to close the doors. Why not use her voice? Is this common with dogs?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
First off, I'm so glad to see you online! Tucker is vocal when he's bored, wants to play, and I just keep looking at him. I'm not sure what Summer Lynn is trying to communicate with you, but if you play and the sound stops, she may just want your attention.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It does sound like she is trying to tell you she is bored. Right now my Bama is making funny noises and I know he wants to play ball. Glad that she is doing so much better after all her problems.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mac will grunt, almost like a little pig grunt, when I'm petting her or cuddling up next to her, at times, as if she's totally content. When she wants to play with a toy (to play tug or fetch), she usually will bring me the toy and it's in my face!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tucker communicates with huffs and puffs, barks groans and whines. It is quite comical! When we took him camping my SIL was amazed how much we understood him. She said it was like camping with Lassie, LOL! Just start to notice what noises she makes when she or you do certain things. You will be surprised how quickly you will figure her out!

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Both of my girls will give a little growl when they want my attention - usually when they want to play. Their tails are always wagging when they do this and they have "friendly" faces - don't know how else to describe it! Very non-threatening. So I give them what they want - attention. Aren't I well trained?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback from all of you. Since Summer is my one and only dog experience, I had no idea they communicated with growls and whines. It's only been within the last few months that she has started doing it. I will watch very closely to figure out just what it is that she wants. I am thinking she is missing my hubby because he always plays with her at a certain time in the evening. She is a creature of habit and expects her dinner at 5:00 sharp. At doggy daycare she goes to the door and lays down at 11:30 sharp. Dogs are such amazing animals!! You just gotta love em!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts