Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a breeder that I found through a reputable golden retriever club. All the reviews that I have found on her have been good. Never saw anything bad reported. She has proof of all her clearances, conducts interviews, and only breeds her dogs once or twice a year. The litter arrived, but a couple of the puppies did not survive the birth. The dog did have to have a c-section. And from what I read, a dead puppy can prevent the labor from progressing. Should I be concerned about the health of the puppies that were born? I lost my beloved golden to lymphoma earlier this year, and miss the companionship, but I just don't know if it is normal for there to be puppies that don't make it through the birth. I want a puppy, but I want a healthy puppy. thanks for your help!

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
Puppies are lost during natural births too. It is a sad reality. My Sage was a c-section birth they lost 4 pups in that litter....she is 20 months and very healthy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I do not believe there is any correlation between pups lost during whelp and health problems with those that are not lost.

·
Kristy
9,593 Posts
Until I joined this forum (I've learned a lot here) I had no idea that it's not like having a human baby. The dog delivers at home, even with an ultrasound (which not all breeders do) there is not 100% guaranteed way to know without a doubt how many puppies are in the litter and there is a lot of unknown here. Since the dog can't talk, even experienced breeders can be taken by surprise sometimes or will think the dog is done and there are still more born etc. Since they are born at home unless there is a scheduled c-section, things can go wrong quickly and the breeder is on the phone with a vet tech who may not be as good as the regular vet etc. and a thousand things can happen. I am in awe of the people who have the gumption to breed dogs now that I know how risky and scary it can be. I am now almost more surprised when I here a whelping went smoothly and there were no puppies lost and bumps in the process.

Your breeder was mostly likely quite heartbroken over the puppies she lost, give her a little time to catch her breath, but you can ask her for more information if it would make you feel better. My girl is from a small litter and one puppy did not make it, she is perfect and healthy in every way :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank yall so much for your responses. you have really calmed my nerves. like i said, all of her reviews have been very positive. and because it isn't like human pregnancies, i wasn't sure how common or uncommon this was. it's such a sad thing that the two pups didn't survive, but your comments make me feel better about the ones who were born. hopefully it will all work out and i'll have a little golden puffball pouncing around my house soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts