Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pouring over the pictures and such. Knowing my brother just got a Golden- I was wondering when does a Golden " grey" on the muzzle and eyebrows. Or is it related to the coloring? ( ie do reds grey faster or blondes etc). In other words about what age ? I have seen some 8 or 9 year olds here not a hint of grey- while others younger- so - just a question ...

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Just like people, some go gray early, some late and some not at all. Obviously the darker the coat the more noticeable the gray.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
It is genetic. Just like with humans. My boys, who are uncle and nephew, began greying as early as four! I blamed Selka's greying at four on getting Gunner but then Gunner began getting grey at 4 also!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I agree it's genetic. I can usually guess a dog's age by subtle things more to do with body condition, coat type, teeth, eyes, and behavior. I've seen Goldens with slight graying as young as three, and I have seen teen-aged Goldens with just a sprinkling of gray.

Brooklyn has gray through her whole coat. I think in a few years, she'll be VERY gray. I was told she is five but for that and other reasons, I suspected I was lied to. A little bit of research with the little info I was given on her and it turns out I was right. Seems they were honest about her birth day- August 21st- but not the year! Guess they thought I wouldn't take her if I knew she was two years older? :rolleyes:

·
16,000 Posts
Hypothyroidism can cause early graying/aging.

It is really no different from breed to breed - there are a variety of reasons from genetics to disease processes.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Casey began to gray at about 4/5 years old. He's currently 11 and has an entirely gray muzzle and a majority of his body is, too! He has been hypothyroid since age 7 (??).

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Teddi just turned 3 and she already has gray around her muzzle. I figured when she was a pup she would gray early because of her color. I don't know why I thought that but I did. I think she has more gray than my 6 yr old black lab.

Maxine was about 10 when she started to gray. She had a gray face when we lost her but not as white as some dogs I have seen half her age.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Our first 2 goldens, Ginny & Tara started greying around 6 or 7, and Skokie was just starting to get a hint of grey in her last year (she died of lymphoma at 4½).

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
No exper

I am no expert, but I think it depends on the individual Golden Ret.
Our rescued Golden Ret., Smooch, started to get gray on face at about 5 or 6 years old, where our neighbor's Golden Ret., Cody, didn't get gray until he was about 10 years old.

Here is a pic of my Rescued Golden Ret., Smooch. at 10 years old and my Samoyed, Snobear at 9:00-it's nice having white fur-you can't see the gray!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts