Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Eleanor's Mom
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- When we bought Eleanor from the breeder, he gave us the information and all the paper work to register her. At this point we have not done so. She is going to end up taller than the standard (at 8 months she is already 23 inches tall and 67 pounds) so we have no plans on breeding her. Plus she already has been spayed. So what are the benefits of registering her if she is only going to be a pet? If I register her do I need to have a kennel name and a call name?

Cecelia

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
As a genealogy geek....there is something about knowing where you come from that I find comforting....By registering her you will always and forever be known as the person that loved her...

PLUS you just never know, you might get bitten by the AKC obedience, agility, rally, tracking (etc...) bug and having her registered is part of the rules to participate.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I also was going to say for performance purposes.

I never registered my dogs for years. In fact my lab Belle I registered when she was 5, so we could do agility. Now though I know how to search for siblings that might be registered etc. Kind of fun.

If you only have her as a family pet and nothing else, you certainly don't have to. It is not a big expense though.

Ann

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
By registering her you will always and forever be known as the person that loved her...
We recently looked up my husband's Golden from when he was a kid. We were able to find him on AKC searching by name and breed and buy a copy of his pedigree. It was really neat for him to be able to go back and look, now that we know more about the breed. We also found out that him and Mira are distant relatives (5 Gen back). This would have never been possible had he not been registered.

Even if you are never going to do anything, I think the small fee for registration is worth having your dog permanently recorded in history.

·
Eleanor's Mom
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am doing agility training with her- I'm not sure if we will ever make it to competion- Do all agility competitions require that the dogs be AKC registered?

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I would absolutely register her if there is a chance of you doing agility. In order to compete in AKC agility trials, you need to be registered with AKC.

While all agility trials do not require an AKC registration, they do require a registration for whatever venue it is. So AKC trials require AKC registration. USDAA requires you to register with USDAA... etc...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I am doing agility training with her- I'm not sure if we will ever make it to competition- Do all agility competitions require that the dogs be AKC registered?
All AKC trials yes - sanctioned 'matches'-no...someone please correct me if im wrong...
Should clarify a bit...Trace could compete in AKC conformation with his Canadian Kennel Club number...but if he won, he would have to register with AKC within X-number of days before any points could be assigned to him...

CPE (Canine Performance Events) only requires that you be registered with CPE....you dont need to be registered with AKC and CPE

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Sammydog How did you look up your husbands old golden? I went to the site and cant seem to figure out how to look up my golden angel..

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
It's pretty easy and this is the way I do it. You need to sign up for a "My AKC Account" on AKC. There is a link from the homepage. Then once your account is setup you go into "Manage My Dogs" and then select "Add a Dog". You can search by name and breed or by AKC number.

Of if you give me the registered name I can search for you...

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
That sounds easy...Im going to try it myself, if I cant figure it out Ill PM you..Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I am doing agility training with her- I'm not sure if we will ever make it to competion- Do all agility competitions require that the dogs be AKC registered?
What I did was do searches on the registration number. If you change the last digit up and down you may find others in that litter that are registered. I think you need to look from the AKC store. It does not give any info other than if they are registered or not. I found on of Teddi's sisters. I want to find the owner and find out how there girl is. I hope she does not have any of Teddi's problems. It would be fun to have a family reunion too. I would love to see what her sister looks like.

Ann

·
Registered
774 Posts
What I did was do searches on the registration number. If you change the last digit up and down you may find others in that litter that are registered. I think you need to look from the AKC store. It does not give any info other than if they are registered or not. I found on of Teddi's sisters. I want to find the owner and find out how there girl is. I hope she does not have any of Teddi's problems. It would be fun to have a family reunion too. I would love to see what her sister looks like.

Ann
How would you find out the owner though? I searched the AKC numbers up and down from Duffy and was only able to get the name of the dog, birthdate and breed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts