Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Sawyer will be turning one on April 18. We have been considering having him neutered next month or March. Would neutering him at 10 or 11 months affect his growth at all? While I realize that this is a big issue I was just wondering what others experiences are with neutering around this age. I have attached some pictures of him (one after some hole digging in the mud:) ) He is currently about 70 lbs.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I'm waiting until Bayne is well over a year of age, he is now 1 year and I really would like to wait the maximum recommended time of 18 months, to give his growth hormones their full chance to do their job.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Think the decision would be if you are absolutely certain your boy cannot get out and mate with another dog. This is what I believe is the main issue. If in doubt, then neuter earlier, if you can accomodate an adult male and know he will be safely away from all unspayed females, then waiting for growth plates to close would be a good choice.

We are going to wait for Coop to be in the 18 -24 mo. for his neuter.

Reactions: mkkuch

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I can only speak from my experience. We had Cody nuetered at 2 years and Wyatt at 7 months and the only different thing I noticed was Wyatt does not do the doggie hump:) No growth problems at all.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Again, growth is only part of the equation. I like this article by Rhonda Hovan

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/2/0/2...her_and_when_to_neuter_a_golden_retreiver.pdf

As long as you can keep your dog safe (read confined), I have no problem with my puppy people waiting until age 2 or later to neuter a male. It's very different with a female because of the risk of pyo and the inconvenience of seasons, although again, there was a small study on female Rottweilers that found that females spayed at age 6 or later lived significantly longer than those spayed prior to that. Sex hormones are there for a reason, and removing them does have consequences. We need to understand and be prepared to deal with those consequences, when we spay/neuter our pets.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
My male is 18.5 months. Even now I see changes in him and his body as he continues to mature. We are showing him in conformation so he will not be neutered. I am anxious to see what he looks like at his peak maturity at about 3 years because I know that he will continue to get better. With pet puppies, in my opinion waiting until 12 months is really beneficial and holding out to 24 months is even better. This is not just for appearance but the health benefits implied by Rhonda Hovan's article. This also implies that you can properly contain your male so he will not sire and litters and that you properly socialize him with other dogs, including other intact males.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. We will wait until he is at least a year to have him neutered. This is our first male so we have been torn on when to have it done. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts