Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question for everybody. How do you guys get your babies to sleep in your room. Rosebud still loves her crate, so that is where she sleeps. Should I even try to change her environment if she sleeps well in the crate in the other room?

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
93 Posts
LOL, I would have imagine the opposite question..LOL. How do I get my GR out of my room and in her own crate. :)

I actually don't know..getting my girl in ~4 weeks :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you want her to sleep in your bed with you? I'd imagine you'd just do this over time, bringing him in with you.

I want my boy to go in his crate at night and love it - we want to just get to a point where he goes in there with the door open to sleep and can have free run of the house otherwise

·
Murphees Mom
505 Posts
I have the same problem, Murphee is 11 months old and I feel so guilty that he is the only one of my dogs that sleeps without me, he sleeps in our downstairs bathroom on the tile floor, I actually think he might like it being cooler, I do keep a dog bed in there which he does use. Then again I am sleeping with a Pug who snores all night and a 100lb Great Pyrenees mix who take up a lot of room.

·
Registered
953 Posts
We had Roxy's crate in our room, as she grew and would be flopping around banging and scratching the sides we removed the mat from her crate and put it on the floor. She has different positions during the night. She starts out sleeping on my side of the bed, then moves to DH side, then her mat at the foot. When it is time to wake up I don't need an alarm Roxy is standing there staring and if I don't move she will put her paws on the bed and nudge with her nose. Great way to to start my day:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
is he neutered yet? as soon as our pup was neutered (i mean literally the same day) he just wanted to be with us and ever since he has gradually spent more and more time sleeping in our room. right now he falls asleep on the floor next to me, and after an hour or two goes into the kitchen on the tile floor. as soon as 5 am rolls around he comes and gives me a kiss and gets a little pet and sleeps next to me again until 630. I think it just happens over time. just praise him when he is in the room! Bos'n gets lots of love when he comes in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Toby is also nine months old. I have been letting him sleep loose in the house for about 2 months. Within the last week or so, I would wake up and see he was not in my room and find him sleeping all alone downstairs in his crate. I mean, he really loves his crate but I thought he would rather be with me rather than be downstairs all by himself. Lately, I have been wondering if he is thinking ahead and using the crate as a way of being inaccessible to me. He HATES, hates, hates the car and one morning a week I load him into the car for daycare. I sometimes wonder if he wakes up when daylight comes into the room and goes into the crate as protection from having to ride in the car. I now have to close the crate door the night before his daycare days so I can leash him up and take him to the car.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ellie sleeps in our room, but not in bed with us. She'd rather have her own space. She's never been crated, but even now at 14 months, she climbs in bed and hangs out, then about 10 minutes later creeps off the bed and sleeps on the floor. =)

·
Ernie's mom
37 Posts
We do something that is a compromise I believe..... Ernie sleeps on his dog bed or the floor, in our room. I have a baby gate in front of the doorway. He goes to his place ( more or less...) and he has left the crate behind.....so our room has become " the crate" now and he seems to do quite well. He sleeps through the night no problem, and he can stretch out and move around.... Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Ernie's mom
37 Posts
We also used that same philosophy during the day, we have gated off the front hallway as well. So the front hallway has become his crate when we need to leave the house. He is very relaxed when we return and his behavior is much calmer with a little more space. He is 9 months and by no means ready to be left alone with the whole house, and want to set him up for success, but he is done with the crate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts