Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of some reason why I can't combine the following medications together and dose Toby at the same time? Each of these meds is prescribed for a specific condition:

1. levothyroxine (for thyroid issues)
2. blood pressure medication (for hypertension and cataract surgery recovery)
3. Folic acid (for folate deficiency)
4. Cephlexin antibiotic (for cataract surgery recovery)
5. Rimadyl (for cataract surgery recovery)

We are running a pharmacy here with three different eye drops and the above medications and I've been giving him one giant pill pocket with these medications to make life easier. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong that might adversely impact absorption of any of the meds. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I just checked out all of the meds except rimadyl (didn't think humans took this) and basically got a warning about taking levothyroxine on an empty stomach and not with liquid nutrition products (perhaps folic acid should be separated) and not taking the blood pressure medication with alcohol, which isn't an option for Toby.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
What did it say? that levothyroxin should be taken on an empty stomach? I asked my vet if it mattered (because I had been giving Brooks his on an empty stomach-an hour before food or 2 hours after-but found that this was causing me to forget it sometimes so wondered if I could change to giving it with his meals) and my vet said it didn't matter.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Bring the list to your local pharmacy and they can cross check the meds. for interactions.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
What did it say? that levothyroxin should be taken on an empty stomach? I asked my vet if it mattered (because I had been giving Brooks his on an empty stomach-an hour before food or 2 hours after-but found that this was causing me to forget it sometimes so wondered if I could change to giving it with his meals) and my vet said it didn't matter.
Your vet is wrong, it does matter. You can still give it with food, but you will have to give more medication if you do it that way. I put it in the girl's food for years because no one told me not to. Once I started giving it an hour ahead of time, I was able to cut the amount of meds in half. The most important thing is that he gets his meds, you should do what ever works best for you.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here were the two levothyroxine warnings (redundant):

It is best to take Thyroid hormones on an empty stomach. To avoid an interaction with liquid nutrition products, take Thyroid hormone 1 hour before tube feedings or nutritional supplement beverages (example: Ensure, Jevity, and others).

It is best to take Thyroid hormones on an empty stomach. Food can limit the absorption of these hormones from the stomach. Examples of interacting foods include, but may not be limited to, soy protein, soy infant formulas, high fiber foods, liquid nutrition shakes, and walnuts. To avoid interactions with food, take Levothyroxine 1 hour before any food. To avoid an interaction with liquid nutrition products, take Levothyroxine 1 hour before tube feedings or nutritional supplement beverages (examples: Ensure, Jevity, and others).

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your vet is wrong, it does matter. You can still give it with food, but you will have to give more medication if you do it that way. I put in in the girl's food for years because no one told me not to. Once I started giving it an hour ahead of time, I was able to cut the amount of meds in half. The most important thing is that he gets his meds, you should do what ever works best for you.
We were told to try to give it on an empty stomach (1 hour before feeding) or 3 hours after feeding so we could minimize the dosage amount, but you need to do whatever you need to just insure you remember to give it! I'm really good about the mornings, but the evening dosing is problematic since Toby must have a meal before bed to prevent morning empty tummy throw ups.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
It is best to take Thyroid hormones on an empty stomach. Food can limit the absorption of these hormones from the stomach. Examples of interacting foods include, but may not be limited to, soy protein, soy infant formulas, high fiber foods, liquid nutrition shakes, and walnuts.
I don't think my husband was every told about when to take his levothyroxin. He takes his pill and eats his breakfast (which is always oatmeal with lots of walnuts and raisins) then he drinks his fiber drink. Hmmm.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think my husband was every told about when to take his levothyroxin. He takes his pill and eats his breakfast (which is always oatmeal with lots of walnuts and raisins) then he drinks his fiber drink. Hmmm.
I pulled this up this morning: Levothyroxine: MedlinePlus Drug Information
It recommends an empty stomach.

As I was reading I noticed it mentioned using sucralfate at least 4 hours after or before thyroid dosing. :doh::doh: I give it to Toby on occasion for eating indiscretions and of course I didn't think it might interfere with his thyroid medication! :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts