Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Question About Junior Hunt tests

7826 186
So, I have signed up for a test in March. I signed up for Saturday, but Sunday is also an option. Is there any reason to sign up for both days? From what I understand by reading the information below, I need to attend four different events and Q four times (land and water) for Logan to get a Junior Hunter certificate/title? Do people sign up for the second day in case they don't pass the first day -- or are there two days to accommodate more people?

Thank you. Logan loves this the most so far.

Font Number
Reactions: MintChip and Rion05
141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
One older man had something called a boomer.
The increased cost and scarcity of 209 primers has made gas guns or "boomers" more popular.
Thunder makes them and charges a fortune for them. There are others that make them as well. I had a local machine shop make a bunch of them,. They are better and cost less than the Thunders.
A $12 gas cylinder will last 7 to 9 months with daily use.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
The increased cost and scarcity of 209 primers has made gas guns or "boomers" more popular.
Thunder makes them and charges a fortune for them. There are others that make them as well. I had a local machine shop make a bunch of them,. They are better and cost less than the Thunders.
A $12 gas cylinder will last 7 to 9 months with daily use.
I assumed from context a 209 primer is ammunition. I then googled to see. Apparently, supply chain issues like everything else. Thanks.

·
aka Shelby
1,633 Posts
Diane...I read your posts. I giggle because I was exactly like you ten years ago....I had conformation goldens (in fact sired by your breeder one of which I helped with OS!) and both of the breeders supported and encouraged me like they are doing you right now. I was so enthusiastic just like you. When I went to my first junior I had no idea there was a live flyer and never worked with a live duck with my girls. I cried privately afterwards because my dog went right to it and wouldn't pick it up and I was so upset I hadn't prepared for that. I admire your laughter during your experience and now I am the same way but at the time I was embarrassed and frustrated. But afterwards I was like you and worked and worked and then ended up getting a SH down the road. After that I went to field and got crazier and crazier and just won my first open a couple weeks ago. The point I'm making is be prepared. You are starting off exactly like me. You may be totally addicted ten years later....It costs a lot and takes a tremendous amount of time but truly there is nothing I'd rather be doing...Good luck and keep up the positive attitude! I'm excited for you!!!! And by the way, I have two boom guns....Christmas presents...ha ha ha...see you will be in the same boat a few years down the road!!! ha ha

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a question, to get the dogs used to gun shots we have a trap field quite close to my house. I can just go out there and just shoot a few rounds. Would you just keep the dogs in crates behind where I would be shooting from or have someone actually hold them? I assume this would be a helpful exercise to prepare the dogs for any future hunt/fiend work? I know my older boy who is 3 would prob not care at all as nothing really bothers him but my new Pup who is 12 weeks I would like to get him used to the loud noises. Also just want to make sure I have the dogs far enough away to not hurt their ears..

·
aka Shelby
1,633 Posts
If I were going to do it that way, I'd have treats and be playing with the dogs while in the distance the gun shots were going off. When they react I'd be very nonchalant and just continue playing and drop a couple treats. I would want my pups to sort of be distracted and not pay much mind to those shots so they became second nature sounds for them.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I have a question, to get the dogs used to gun shots we have a trap field quite close to my house. I can just go out there and just shoot a few rounds. Would you just keep the dogs in crates behind where I would be shooting from or have someone actually hold them? I assume this would be a helpful exercise to prepare the dogs for any future hunt/fiend work? I know my older boy who is 3 would prob not care at all as nothing really bothers him but my new Pup who is 12 weeks I would like to get him used to the loud noises. Also just want to make sure I have the dogs far enough away to not hurt their ears..
I would not do that.
Busy right now, I will explain later.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
In a hunt test you don't shoot, the shot comes from in the field. It's not always far away, but normally at least 40 yards. I would not (WOULD NOT) take a puppy to a shooting range, or a sporting clay range for introduction to gun fire. I would introduce it slowly from a far distance, say 100 yards, and then start coming closer. You want it to draw the dogs attention, but not be loud and startle them. I am only so set on this because my husband was an avid sporting clay shooter. I can't tell you how many shoots I judged and the men had the wives bring the cute little puppies to watch. The dogs were over excited and most terrified. It is not a good way to introduce a dog to the sound of a gun shot.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jerseychris, Hard no on taking pup to trap range for gunfire exposure. Usually what I do with a puppy is make noise when calling them to eat. Starting with banging food bowl while calling them to eat then graduating to firing a cap gun and feeding or giving treats. Then gunfire at a distance in the field with a bird retrieve. By then they associate gunfire as good and exciting.

·
Registered
729 Posts
As others have said, hard NO. Retrieving desire first, then associate gunshots with the retrieve. When they will do a 100-yard retrieve (and are EXCITED about it), have the thrower toss a bird or bumper 100 yards away and fire a starter pistol with a quieter blank. Build up to closer distance and louder blanks.

Birds are best, since most dogs get more excited about birds than bumpers, but I've never had access to those at the times I was introducing dogs to gunshots. If your dog loves bumpers, those will work fine.

I introduced my first retriever to gunfire when she was 3 or 4 years old. I was warned that she was likely too old. Hah! Total non-issue. She loved retrieving, especially birds. Gunfire was a great thing in her mind.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
Diane...I read your posts. I giggle because I was exactly like you ten years ago....I had conformation goldens (in fact sired by your breeder one of which I helped with OS!) and both of the breeders supported and encouraged me like they are doing you right now. I was so enthusiastic just like you. When I went to my first junior I had no idea there was a live flyer and never worked with a live duck with my girls. I cried privately afterwards because my dog went right to it and wouldn't pick it up and I was so upset I hadn't prepared for that. I admire your laughter during your experience and now I am the same way but at the time I was embarrassed and frustrated. But afterwards I was like you and worked and worked and then ended up getting a SH down the road. After that I went to field and got crazier and crazier and just won my first open a couple weeks ago. The point I'm making is be prepared. You are starting off exactly like me. You may be totally addicted ten years later....It costs a lot and takes a tremendous amount of time but truly there is nothing I'd rather be doing...Good luck and keep up the positive attitude! I'm excited for you!!!! And by the way, I have two boom guns....Christmas presents...ha ha ha...see you will be in the same boat a few years down the road!!! ha ha
Thank you for the encouragement!

The first time my trainer brought a duck out to me she was holding it by its legs and it was just hanging upside down not moving. I thought it was dead, and being a city girl, just taking in/processing the upside down dead duck experience as Logan was sniffing away like crazy at it. Next, the trainer turned it over as she stood right beside me and it started flapping its wings like crazy and she released it to take flight. I jumped so badly. Lolol Logan chased it to the water’s edge and I called him back. That was a good day because she said, “He has excellent obedience.“ He’s now shown her he also sometimes has another side to his personality. Lol

Logan has retrieved one live flyer and didn’t seem to care if the bird was flapping/alive as he picked it up, so I hope that’s a good sign.

·
Registered
697 Posts
In a hunt test you don't shoot, the shot comes from in the field. It's not always far away, but normally at least 40 yards. I would not (WOULD NOT) take a puppy to a shooting range, or a sporting clay range for introduction to gun fire. I would introduce it slowly from a far distance, say 100 yards, and then start coming closer. You want it to draw the dogs attention, but not be loud and startle them. I am only so set on this because my husband was an avid sporting clay shooter. I can't tell you how many shoots I judged and the men had the wives bring the cute little puppies to watch. The dogs were over excited and most terrified. It is not a good way to introduce a dog to the sound of a gun shot.
I am about as green as they come but I knew we were not shooting.. lol I do have plenty of gun experience fortunately, but was curious on how to introduce the dogs to the noise mostly. Having never been to a hunt/field setup I have no idea where or even how they do it. I am sure a lot of my questions will be answered by going to see one in person.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have always used a trap/ skeet operation to get my pups trained to gun shots. I did it by taking them to play in the area. We started far enough away that they could barely hear the shots. I am guessing 200-300 yards from the back side of the shooting area. In time I slowly went closer and trained and played with the pups for 30 minutes or so. If I ever noticed they were reacting to the noise, I would back off. Eventually we got to where we were right on the back of the parking lot and they were not reacting to the noise. The next time I came I took each dog on lead to walk around the parking lot. In each case they were curious, but not fearful at all....

If you go slow, it is a great way to do it. Do nothing that makes them react to the sound of fun fire, or all the remember is the sound and the fear.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have always used a trap/ skeet operation to get my pups trained to gun shots. I did it by taking them to play in the area. We started far enough away that they could barely hear the shots. I am guessing 200-300 yards from the back side of the shooting area. In time I slowly went closer and trained and played with the pups for 30 minutes or so. If I ever noticed they were reacting to the noise, I would back off. Eventually we got to where we were right on the back of the parking lot and they were not reacting to the noise. The next time I came I took each dog on lead to walk around the parking lot. In each case they were curious, but not fearful at all....

If you go slow, it is a great way to do it. Do nothing that makes them react to the sound of fun fire, or all the remember is the sound and the fear.
thanks, kind of along my thoughts too, just was concerned the best way to let them get used to it and starting far away makes perfect sense.

·
the party's crashing us
4,809 Posts
Chris, simply take your dog to training days, where they will hear shots when the other dogs are training, then spend a lot of time getting them crazy for retrieving. Simply have the thrower shoot a primer before he throws and like Pavlov's dogs they learn that gun = retrieve and will get jazzed up about it. Taking them to a range with zero context and having no positive association won't do them any good.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Chris, simply take your dog to training days, where they will hear shots when the other dogs are training, then spend a lot of time getting them crazy for retrieving. Simply have the thrower shoot a primer before he throws and like Pavlov's dogs they learn that gun = retrieve and will get jazzed up about it. Taking them to a range with zero context and having no positive association won't do them any good.
???

Desensitizing to the sounds of gunshots prepares the dog to then have the "thrower shoot" on a retrieve. Additionally, I mentioned in my post above that I, " trained and played with the pups for 30 minutes" as I moved closer to the gunshots. This makes the link for the pup between retrieving and gunshots very well, thank you! Then you start actually sending the pup on singles with gunshots included.

Different strokes for different folks...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Guess who got his first pass at Junior Hunter today?!!! Beautiful Logan Smith did. My sweet smart boy. :love:

He was perfect on land for both marks. For the water, he dropped the bird the second time when he shook off, but he picked it back up and got into heel. I’m so proud of him. I gave him a deer jerky treat when we got in our car to go home.

We met lots of sweet people who were very helpful knowing it was my first go at it. The judges were awesome. I’m so glad I stayed for the ribbon ceremony. I was going to leave because I had been up since 5:00 a.m. and we didn’t get completely done until 5:00 p.m. I was sleepy and still had an hour and a half drive ahead of me. It was so cool seeing the ribbon delivery. I clapped and smiled away for each of them. There were two dogs who were completing Junior Hunter — well, there may have been more but some had left and some were off running other dogs in other tests.

Yippee! Thanks for all of your advice and encouragement.

Oh, and a nice lady took video for me on her phone when we did our water runs. She said she decided not to tell me until after my run because I had said if I record something on video we always mess up. Haha

Plant Textile Orange Sleeve Petal

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Sky Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Dog Carnivore Vehicle

141 - 160 of 187 Posts