Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I don't really want to feed junk treats to my golden, or extra calories that may add too much to his caloric intake. What are some of the food treats that your dogs love that would be cheap and easy for me. Thank you for the suggestions! (the best I've heard of is frozen veggies from the store; also, I don't want to have to take much time to prepare them) Thanks!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't have a brand or anything for you but my guys love the tiny liver flavored treats. I don't do any calculations but if I know I've given training treats I try to cut back the food the same amount.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My Gunner has severe allergies so I am staying with plain old Milkbone Flavorsnacks (he only gets a half of a small treat anyway) because I know he isn't allergic to those.

I am never trying anything new again!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
When our Toby was a puppy we used his kibble as his training treats. We measured his daily kibble and just took it from the daily allotment. That kept his calorie count in proportion.

We also give the dogs small amounts of peanut butter as treats once or twice each day. It's really about a tablespoon that we put in a Kong. It takes them a while to get all the good taste out and they really enjoy their Kong treats.

One of my guys is a fruit/veggie/nut nut. He gets a tiny portion of my apple each morning. I mean tiny, because I love apples myself! We also feed him raw carrots as treats or al dente carrots (our senior guy likes them partially cooked). Green beans are also favorites. We watch the total number of treats given in a day and adjust their evening meals if they've over indulged. The thing about the veggies is they are so low calorie we don't do any adjustments.

I'm not a huge fan of the commercial treats; however, we sometimes get small liver treats for them and their foster mom from the rescue gives them some stinky Salmon chummies they are absolutely crazy about. She gets them at Costco (we love Costco!). They stink to high heaven so the dogs know when a new bag arrives...:). They love their foster parents and we do too!

They get TD treats at the vet, but we try to keep the staff disciplined not to overindulge them with those. We aren't big fans of them due to the calorie content. I wish they would switch to omega 3 fish oil capsules for treats.

We also supplement our dogs with lots of omega 3 (not omega 6) fish oils. Our guys eat them as treats and even beg for them when we take ours. Fish oils do have calories but they have so many anti-inflammatory benefits for joints, skin, brain health and overall health. We just make sure they come from a pure source since we are concerned about mercury toxicity.

Oh, and the morning thyroid, allergy and Sam-e medicines come with a portion of a Pill Pocket disguising them. That's a first thing in the a.m. treat!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I buy thinly sliced calf/beef liver and boil it until just cooked. Immediately rinse it off with cold water and cut into small pieces. Half goes into a ziplock sandwich bag in the frige and the other half in the freezer for the next week. Cocasse loves this and it costs all of about $2.00 or less for a healthy treat.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We use Wellness treats cut up small and kibble for training. I often give the dogs whatever fresh fruits or veggies I happen to be eating or cutting up. So far Riley has tried and liked: carrots, brocolli, frozen green beans, romaine lettuce, asparagus, raw potatoes, bananas, apples. On the dislike list: celery! Our older dog, Sara is pickier but Riley scarfs down whatever Sara doesn't eat.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Tinkerbell only get s small treats for caloric reasons. And her favorites are Charlee Bear treats, they are bit size and are only 3 calories each they come in a good size bag for a very reasonable price. Her other favorite is Nutro Natural Choice treats, they come in blueberry and carrot & apple flavors. Those are obviously pretty easy cause they are store bought and make for very easy to take with me.

But she also likes most any fruit and veggie. So we do a lot of green beans and blueberries, apples, tomatoes, etc

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Charlie Bears are a dog treat low in calories. And the cheese ones taste just like goldfish crackers!

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
I don't have a brand or anything for you but my guys love the tiny liver flavored treats. I don't do any calculations but if I know I've given training treats I try to cut back the food the same amount.
Same here. I only give a couple of dog biscuits a day and just factor that in to his total calories. As far as veggie type stuff, I give an occasional baby carrot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Treat Convenience

It sounds like you are really looking for convenience. We've tried to make treats at home and they are great. The problem is that between our jobs, kids and other responsibilities, that extra half hour is often used just to keep the house reasonably clean. Dogster.com recommended a site for low-calorie, quality dog treats that can be ordered online. This is the page that the blog linked to http://www.fidodogtreats.com/low-calorie-dog-treats

1 - 13 of 13 Posts