Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Question about getting a puppy

537 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BeauShel 
#1 ·
Hi there

I'm thinking of buying a GR puppy this summer or next. My only concern is letting him/her out during the day. I work about an hour from home....so I would have to leave it there all day long. I don't know what my options are if I can do that or what options I have. I don't want to decide not to buy one only because of the distance from home to work.

Any ideas or advise?

Thank you

#3 ·
wow, personally i think that is not a favourable situation for a pup to be in. they need to pee often when small.
do you have anyone who could call in a few times a day to let him out to pee and feed him as he needs his meals and water.

others will have better answers but if he is to be left all day i would maybe rethink geting a pup until something is in place for him.

#4 ·
Some suggestions include enrolling your puppy into doggy daycare or hiring a pet-sitter/walker to let your puppy out SEVERAL times a day to potty and run around for a bit. At least until the dog is old enough to hold it all day and even then if that dog isn't exercised you will have a dog with issues.

Perhaps look into getting a rescue GR who his older and wouldn't mind laying around the house sleeping?? That would seem to be your best bet.

Please do not get a puppy if it is going to be in a crate all day and never be let out until you get home from work-that is cruel.

#5 ·
Welcome,
If you are looking at getting a puppy, you should have a crate and have someone come in to let him/her outside several times a day to go potty. That will help him wiht the potty training and keep him in a safe place so he cant chew things up or hurt himself. No way should he be outside. They can get stolen or hurt chewing on something. Good luck with your search for a puppy. At the top of the page is a puppy finder checklist that has some very valuabe information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.