Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest son has a little mix about 8 pouns. He went in to his regular vet to pick a pack of Nexgard fla stuff and was told he couldn't get it because it was a prescription and she had to have an exam before he could get it. And ANY time you get a prscrition be it heart worm o rflea/tick, te dog has to hav an exame. He gets the flea stuff 4 times a year, heart worm twice. Does anone here have to have their dogs in for a phsicalbefoe getting flea/tickprstuff several times a year? My evt requires heart worm test and exam once a year, but not 4 times a year for flea/tick stuff

·
Registered
420 Posts
We need to have a yearly before getting nextguard . If we missed a period during high flea and tick season the Vet would make us see her again before allowing us to get more.
As long as we keep the dog on from April to November our yearly exam is enough

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,849 Posts
Yearly exam required at my Vet for yearly prescription refills.
For HW refill, a HW blood test has to be done and prescription is only filled if the test is negative.

I've always given HW and Flea/tick year round.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yearly exam required at my Vet for yearly prescription refills.
For HW refill, a HW blood test has to be done and prescription is only filled if the test is negative.

I've always given HW and Flea/tick year round.
I guess location means a lot with those medications. We are below freezing for most of the winter not requiring meds. Some people choose to give them through the winter of they travel.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,849 Posts
I guess location means a lot with those medications. We are below freezing for most of the winter not requiring meds. Some people choose to give them through the winter of they travel.
It really does make a difference, we have a very short winter here and it normally isn't below freezing long enough to kill off the bugs. We rarely get a hard freeze....

I start mowing my yard in March......

·
Registered
956 Posts
You have to have a prescription for Simparica. I was going to order some from Chewy and couldn't.

·
3 goldens
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don'tthink I made myself clear. He takes Maggie in once a year for a physical including a heart worm test and gets a prescription for a year's worth of Intercept. It is the flea/tick stuff he gets 4 times a year and the vet wants her to have a physical every 3 months for that.He can't figure out why the heart worm prscription is good for a year, but the flea/tick is only good for 3 months. With my vet, both are good for a year when they get their yarly physical. And here on the Texas cost any dog not on heart worm meds year round is likely toget heart worms. Best described my son when wwe wre duck hunting 23 or so yearsago "Mom, when you go duck hunting you are suppose to wear thermal underwear and take coffee orhotchocllate, not wear OFF mosquitosprayand take icewater." It can be freezing here one week and in the 70's the next.

Anyway, what I am getting at does anyone hve to take their dog in 4 physicals a year like hisvet wants.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,849 Posts
Your son may want to find another Vet....... my prescriptions are renewed for a year when my guy goes in for his annual wellness check. I order my HW meds and the Nexgard through Petco. I get a 6 month supply for HW meds, then order the Nexgard every three months-I have it set up on Auto ship.

Petco contacts my Vet clinic for the prescription approvals at the beginning of the year once my guy's had his wellness check and it's time for another shipment.

·
Premium Member
18,111 Posts
I don'tthink I made myself clear. He takes Maggie in once a year for a physical including a heart worm test and gets a prescription for a year's worth of Intercept. It is the flea/tick stuff he gets 4 times a year and the vet wants her to have a physical every 3 months for that.He can't figure out why the heart worm prscription is good for a year, but the flea/tick is only good for 3 months. With my vet, both are good for a year when they get their yarly physical. And here on the Texas cost any dog not on heart worm meds year round is likely toget heart worms. Best described my son when wwe wre duck hunting 23 or so yearsago "Mom, when you go duck hunting you are suppose to wear thermal underwear and take coffee orhotchocllate, not wear OFF mosquitosprayand take icewater." It can be freezing here one week and in the 70's the next.

Anyway, what I am getting at does anyone hve to take their dog in 4 physicals a year like hisvet wants.
I would suggest he ask the vet in person if an exam is required to fill flea/tick prevention. I think the vet techs may have given him incorrect informationm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts