Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I have two goldens, one is 14 months, and the other is 2 years old. The younger one is the dominate one.. He will bark at our other dog to get off sofa so he can take that spot.. and it works for him. He will try and take things from him, and most times the older dog will let him have it.. My question is.. should we butt in, and stop the younger one from being dominate over the older one.. or do we just let them work it out? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
A lot of times, people misread dogs and what they are doing. Your younger dog is definately being a brat, but not necessarily being dominant. It is very possible the older dog is the more alpha of the two. It's hard to tell from what you have said.

My Danny is the youngest and the brat of the pack. Not really bad, but when my alpha girl has a toy in her mouth, he will take it from her and she lets him. Unless she doesn't want him to have it, and then she tells him that with a growl or lifted lip. So by just observing, most people would think he was the alpha because he takes her toy, but it is misleading. Normally I tell him to knock it off because it irritates me, but like I said, if she wanted to keep the toy, she would let him know in no uncertain (dog) terms.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Let them work it out. As long as there is not any violence it should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts