Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesia has never had one of those great, round dog beds, with the ledge to rest her head. She has always had my bed, the couch, etc.

But just now, watching her get up and move from one place to another on the hardwood floor, and slowly letting herself down, I had a pang of guilt. She's on the floor probably because she played a lot of ball earlier - and isn't quite up to leaping onto a bed or crawling up onto the couch. Or maybe she just wants to be on the floor - who knows?

Here's the question: Have any of you introduced a dog bed with success this late in life? She is 11. I tried to introduce an orthopedic bed about 18 months ago - just a flat one that she could lie on to cushion her joints and bones - but she wanted no part of it. But she doesn't have much natural padding on her at all. I'm almost on the verge of going out to buy one - if they'll let me return it if she shows no interest. But I'm interested to hear your experiences. How long might it take her to warm up to it? I really would like her to be comfortable when she's on the floor. And I think she might go for the comfort factor of being surrounded by the ledge and having somewhere to rest her head...

Thanks. I know it's sort of an odd question.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Yes ,i did, and he loved it, foster and smith, those thick ,large orto, beds, i bought a kuranda,bed a few weeks ago, finally one of my dogs are laying on it, but the others like the foster and smith ones.

·
207 Posts
My brother had great success in introducing a new, cushier dog bed to his older golden, Champie, aged 10. He just took away the old one. I would just make sure I could return it. LLBean, among other stores, has a liberal return policy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I bought nice orthopedic beds for the senior girls this summer...as Lexi was struggling to get on her chair more and more.
It took her months before she consented that they are indeed comfy...she will still choose the floor every now and again...but the beds get the nod more and more.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
We have 8 dog beds on our main floor. We just had your typical round/rectangular pillow type beds that all 3 dogs used. We then bought 3 of those round, foam beds (with sides) which they all love....especially Reno. He loves curling up and being all warm and cozy. Last week Austin got mad and decided it would be more fun to rip one of those beds apart than to sleep on it. We replaced that one with a Kong brand bed (no sides, just a pillow type bed).....Reno loves it!!!! It is nice and thick, soft and cushy. If one of the other dogs are on it, he'll go sit on it until they move.

Now that Reno is having trouble jumping up onto the futon, I suspect he'll be using the beds more often.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I've been looking on the LL Bean site - I am looking at the therapeutic dog couch (the one with the ledge) - but it is sold out in both styles. The alternative is the premium dog couch. I wonder how much different the therapeutic one is.

For anyone who has an LL Bean - what size did you buy and how big is your dog? I was going to get Large - she is 55 lbs - but reading the reviews, I'm not leaning towards a Medium...

I'm going to go investigate Foster and Smith and Karunda.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I swear by the Kuranda beds and our crew loves them. I have several scattered throughout the house. They are great for orthopedic issues, keep them up off the floor, are easily cleaned and disinfected and are pretty indestructible. www.kuranda.com

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I've been looking on the LL Bean site - I am looking at the therapeutic dog couch (the one with the ledge) - but it is sold out in both styles. The alternative is the premium dog couch. I wonder how much different the therapeutic one is.

For anyone who has an LL Bean - what size did you buy and how big is your dog? I was going to get Large - she is 55 lbs - but reading the reviews, I'm now leaning towards a Medium...

I'm going to go investigate Foster and Smith and Karunda.
Sorry - the edit function isn't working for me. That was supposed to read, I am NOW leaning towards the medium.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The large LLBean is quite large, but I have an 80 lb Golden. I also have an Orvis bed -- they make nice ones, too.
I am so glad to get your perspective. I had swung back to thinking I need the Large. My dog likes to stretch out on her side when she sleeps. But I'm still not sure. And I'm still hesitating because this would be a $200 purchase for something I'm not sure she'll even like - and it would cost me big $$ to return it from Canada.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Orvis has a very liberal return policy and great customer service.

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
beds 004.jpg

LLBean Therapeutic 34x44 - Liberty curled up...

beds 006.jpg
LLBean Therapeutic 34x44 - Tracer stretched out

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
my biggest 'complaint' about the LLBean therapeutic bed is that it is like 'bathing a cat' to put the cover on the bed...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Since I do not allow Lola up on sofas, beds etc... she has her own soft dog bed- nothing too fancy- Nice and thick- very soft and large enough for her to spread herself out on. She loves it!. The minute I put it down she jumped on it and claimed it hers!:) In the summer when it is hot- she likes the cool tiles on the downstairs floor.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I made my own doggie orthopedic bed. I bought a memory foam matress topper than cut it down to the size I wanted. I bought fabric and made a slip cover to cover the topper with. Lucky would not use an actual dog bed but he loved his home made beds. Mine are also much thicker than the actual orthopedic doggie beds. Plus cheaper too.

My yorkies are allowed on the furniture (beds, recliners, sofas) at my parents who dog sit for me while at work but Lucky never was and neither is Buddy now. The home made bed for him now is 4.5' x 3.5' I think- Not including his body pillow as a headrest. All 5 dogs fit on it.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow - thanks for all the photos! They are so helpful! Your pups all look so happy on their beds! Here is the one I am considering...

Therapeutic Dog Couch: Dog Bed Sets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

It is sold out in the Large right now. There are other variations, too - fleece, non-therapeutic. But this is the one I think Tee might like. But might is tough for $200!

LibertytMe: I read that same complaint in a LOT of the LL Bean customer reviews! Hard to put the bolster beds together - and hard to take the cover off and get it back on after washing.

MikeTallulah: I LOVE the idea of making an orthopedic bed! Especially since it wouldn't cost me $200! Where did you buy the memory foam?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Wow - thanks for all the photos! They are so helpful! Your pups all look so happy on their beds! Here is the one I am considering...

Therapeutic Dog Couch: Dog Bed Sets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

It is sold out in the Large right now. There are other variations, too - fleece, non-therapeutic. But this is the one I think Tee might like. But might is tough for $200!

LibertytMe: I read that same complaint in a LOT of the LL Bean customer reviews! Hard to put the bolster beds together - and hard to take the cover off and get it back on after washing.

MikeTallulah: I LOVE the idea of making an orthopedic bed! Especially since it wouldn't cost me $200! Where did you buy the memory foam?
I bought the memory foam at Walmart. That way I can also make the bed to custom fit the area or dog. My parents have a fireplace (rarely used) in their family room so the bed in that room is huge. I think it is like 6'x 5'. Big enough for dogs and human to watch TV in since Buddy is not allowed on the furniture.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts