Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, this is my first thread. Hali is 5yrs and completely housebroken. I want to try to have her be loose at night instead of sleeping in her "house". I have tried a couple of times to leave her with the door to her crate open when I go to bed. In the morning she is an absolute "spazz" when I come down. It's like "Mom why did you do that to me?" My main concern with this is in case of a fire or some other bad thing happening overnight. The other side of the coin is at least I would know where to find her in case of an emergency. I am looking for any input from the forum. :confused:

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Sounds to me like she really enjoys her crate. If I were you, I'd do what makes her happy. I know other breeders who always make their dogs sleep in a crate. Nothing really wrong with that. Just as long as they are let out in the morning, and don't spend the entire day in there.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Where does she sleep now? I have to think in a fire she would be barking and let you know where she was--

My own personal feeling is that lots of times folks use crates so they don't have to deal with the dogs they chose to "own". Some dogs love them--some don't--mine hates it. She just wants to be at my feet--no matter the room or the activity. Laugh if you want but she sleeps in my arms--nursing her kitten.

If she is 5 and there are not problems? Why fix it?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
IF she's happy sleeping in her crate then i'd let her stay there. The ancestors of our dogs are "den" animals and they often see their crate as their "den", or safe-haven where they sleep. Be happy that she likes it, you're fortunate!

Vinny loves his and will go there to sleep even without me putting him there.

Is there a reason you don't want her in the crate at night?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
If it were important to you .....(I weaned Lucky from the crate when I wanted a more effective watch dog while my husband was gone overnights) ....then just leave the door open.

She'll adjust to that in time and then might venture out. Lucky was out of sinc for the first few times I left the door open as he spent the nights roaming rather then sleeping.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Night time crating is the best. Trust me...Katie holds her potty from 11 pm til 8 am. Must be doing something right lol....shes only been home since Saturday :)

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
I think dogs are far more adaptable to changing living arrangements than are many people. You CAN teach an old dog, new tricks... Leave the door open if you wish, Hali will adjust to the 'new' situation within a couple of days I'm sure. Eventually she will probably start wandering around at night and selecting cooler spots to rest on and that's when I'd phase out the crate... if that is your intent, otherwise just relax and Hali will too.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
My girl is 5 mo old and I have been letting her sleep crate free for about 3 weeks and its working great. She has a puffy bed right next to me and she sleeps 10 hrs straight no problem. She has hated the crated from the beginning, I did put her in there when I first got her but she wanted to be with me so much so I thought "why not?". I like having her near me, I would say give it a try for your dog to sleep next to you and see how it goes. If your dog is a wanderer at night then its a no go, if she stays put all night then go for it. I have always wanted a dog to sleep near me, none of the other dogs wanted to but this one sure does. I absolutely love this part of having a part golden.

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all your input. I guess if she is happy in her "house" I should leave well enough alone. She goes in willingly at night when it is bedtime. I just feel guilty as my last dog had free roam of the house and mostly slept on the couch at night. Hali was crated at bedtime from the time she was a puppy and is very confused when I don't close the crate door when I go to bed and that is why I say she acts like "Mom why did you leave me loose ? " in the morning when I come down stairs and "spazzes out". She is just beside herself when she sees me in the morning. I guess I just need to get over it.
Thanks again.Kathi

·
Registered
56 Posts
I crapped out on the crate when Joze was 2 months. I put an old comforter in a space between my nightstand and dresser. She will hop on the bed for about 10 minutes at bedtime, move to the tile bathroom floor then work her way to the comforter "den" for the rest of the night. As she is 15 months now she fits nicely in the spot. She loves it. It's there at night and under the desk in the day. As per the Avatar. I keep changing the pic cuz I'm havin a devil of a time uploading pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts