Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard if you put your dog in a crate when your not home, it teaches them how to act when your gone. and you don't have to use the crate forever. o.k so how does her staying in a crate teach her how to behave outside of a crate when i'm gone? and i really don't want to use the crate forever, when should you stop using the crate?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's not necessarily the crate teaches her how to behave when you're gone...it just keeps them from damaging your home since she is confined. After awhile, when the dog matures enough and has had the training, you can begin letting the dog out of the crate when you're gone and your house not be destroyed.

But no, it does not teach them how to act, it just confines them when nobody is there to watch after them. You let them out when they have matured enough and you have trained them what they can do and not do.

PS-make sure dog is getting plenty of exercise, especially if she has been in a crate for a long period of time.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Bock is right on. The crate keeps them safe.. the training shows them how to behave. Plenty of exercise and appropriate things to chew are key. When they need to chew show them what to chew.. as in don't chew that, chew this. Same with potty.. don't go there, go here. You have to give them free time in the house under supervision to teach them how to behave. Eh Eh when doing sometihing you don't like.. and praise when you have redirected and they do the right thing.

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
Moxie is perfectly content to sleep in her crate all day and it gives her a safe place to go, however if you leave the opportunity out for her to misbehave while we're gone, the she will. She will get into the trash and she will eat my underwear. So the crate not only is seen as a safe place to her but I see it as a place where she'll stay and I won't have to clean up a mess when I get home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts