Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bruno...uuno...noo..unn.
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of comb ?
any picture?

i usually use slicker brush but recently i've been told not to use it for golden.
thank u

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I use an under coat rake followed by a slicker. The undercoat rake is just a dozen or so heavy steel blunt tines that works well to pull out the loose undercoat.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This will hopefully give you an idea--I have a stainless steel, heavy duty, "greyhound" comb--I believe it is called a greyhound comb. One side has fine teeth, one, not so fine. I've attached a photo for you.

Attachments

·
16,000 Posts
I use the Belgium Greyhound combs. I have 2 of them and if I could put a LoJack or something on them I would - the original Greyhound comb is very hard to find. I love the way they are weighted/balanced, and they have a round spine. Chris Christensen also makes very nice metal combs, I have one of his #000's and a #006, as well.

http://www.chrissystems.com/combs.htm

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I use an old Greyhound comb, similiar to the one illustrated, and a nice pin brush (#1 All Systems). Slickers aren't the best if you are looking to maintain a show coat.

·
16,000 Posts
I use an old Greyhound comb, similiar to the one illustrated, and a nice pin brush (#1 All Systems). Slickers aren't the best if you are looking to maintain a show coat.

Ooohh... "an old Greyhound comb"... don't you love them? If anyone "borrows" one of mine my palms sweat until it's back in my tack box! :uhoh:

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Ooohh... "an old Greyhound comb"... don't you love them? If anyone "borrows" one of mine my palms sweat until it's back in my tack box! :uhoh:
I know-this comb does not leave my house! I also love my 34-year old Dubl Duck scissors-I know they won't last much longer but they are wonderful :)

·
16,000 Posts
A tip - be careful with brand new metal combs, especially the ones at the lower end of the price scale - the times of the comb can be rough or sharp and damage the skin. I actually take my new ones and run them back and forth across my grooming table a few times to sort of "wear them down" a bit.

·
Bruno...uuno...noo..unn.
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, thank you for many reply here

i would like to buy greyhound comb as stated on the pict
but, may i know what is the difference between the "rare" teeth side and the other with the "full" teeth side for the appliance?? i mean why there are two side? Which side suit for what part?
thank u

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
The wider spaced teeth are better for the first time over the coat, to loosen up any tangles in the coat as you work them out, then the fine tooth coat to finish the job. You want to work the comb through to the skin, so the fine tooth would usually get snagged on the first few passes. It is the best though, for getting the job done!

Lana

·
Bruno...uuno...noo..unn.
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, thank you for the explanation guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts