Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for an hour for an answer before posting, but wasn't able to find one yet, and I'm curious.

When I picked Eli up his litter mates were all quite a bit lighter than he was. The "typical" golden puppy look you would say. I'm sure he's from the same dam and sire, (His father was a pretty dark golden color) but my question is, everyone says that the golden will usually mature to the color of their ears, well Eli is only a few shades lighter than his ear color at this point and he seems to be getting some lighter "stripes" coming in beneath his puppy fuzz.

I'm kind of a newbie golden being that this is my first Golden Retriever and I'm wondering if he's going to maybe lighten with age or just get darker? It doesn't matter all that much to me, he's a perfect puppy, but I'd just like to have an idea. He was the biggest male and the one that most resembled the sire.

Anyone have any guesses as to what they think?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Almost all golden puppies will darken as they get older. The color of the ears is usually a very good indicator of what the adult coat will be like. It's very rare that a puppy will lighten with age. It just about never happens. You pup will definitely be red as an adult. The stripes underneath is the undercoat, which will sometimes be lighter than the top coat. Our Tucker is a medium gold color with a very light blonde undercoat and feathering.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I definitely agree....I think he will be red, with a lighter undercoat like my Brody. Possibly not quite as mahogany color as him...but still red. He is just adorable!:) Here is a picture of my Brody, you can see his lighter undercoat as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, yes I do see that lighter undercoat intertwining in there on Brody. He's gorgeous by the way! I see light color coming in on Eli's chest which is why i wondered if he was going to lighten up. I suppose that will probably be undercoat then.

Eli is a field line golden...this is what I wanted when I picked my breeder because of the activity level. Most of her dogs were reddish the mother was the lightest coat she had but was still definately not a cream just a medium golden color. Eli's father was a deep red color. She told me that a lot of the field line goldens seem to be more red which was the cause of the big split in show vs field I guess?

·
& Romeo's mom
732 Posts
He is so cute!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I think he will be the same color as Max myself as he is thereabouts right now. I think Max is a reddish golden color but not really a red. Eli is a beautiful color!!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
He is ADORABLE! They usually will grow into the color at the tip of their ears. It takes about 2 years before they get their full coat in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts