Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they more prone to cancer than other dogs? It seems on this site that is all I read about- from young goldens to older ones. I am giving my 15 month old Lola many cancer preventatives now-:crossfing raw diet- chinese mushroom extracts and many other supplements- greens including Chorella. It worries me now reading about so many sick dogs. I guess I am becoming a worrie wart.:(

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Often times the only reason people find this site is when their dogs are sick and they search the internet looking for help. Because the forum is so large...it pops up. They join and share stories...

All dogs are susceptible to cancer...
I think it is reasonable to be aware of cancer as a risk...but please dont let the worry sap away the joy of having a wonderful dog...

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Often times the only reason people find this site is when their dogs are sick and they search the internet looking for help. Because the forum is so large...it pops up. They join and share stories...

All dogs are susceptible to cancer...
I think it is reasonable to be aware of cancer as a risk...but please dont let the worry sap away the joy of having a wonderful dog...

I agree.

My last Golden lived to be almost 14 y.o. before we helped her to Rainbow Bridge. Did she have cancer? We don't know, but probably she did somewhere in her body at that age. Age takes it toll no matter what the breed.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Both of my dogs that died of hemangiosarcoma were geriatric when they contracted it--13 1/2 years and almost 13 years, well over the average life span of Golden Retrievers. They could have died from anything at that age, but it happened to be cancer. They both lived very full and happy lives. It's the dogs that die of cancer at 3 and 4 that really worry me. We've had some forum members who sadly experienced this, but usually we hear of Golden cancers during the senior years--7 to 8 and up.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Doctors say if you live long enough you will eventually die from cancer. That is true of dogs as well.

Goldens do seem prone to cancer as are many other breeds. But there are so many things you could worry about, you miss living. Enjoy your wonderful golden!

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
I have lost three Goldens to cancer. All below the age of 12. Yes. Goldens do carry the cancer genome, as do Boxers and other large breeds. Cancer is the #1 killer of our pets with lymphoma and haemangiosarcoma being the commonest cancers.

The life span of Goldens is now 10.5 years. There is no way to screen Goldens for the cancer genome at this time, but there are some breeders who breed only dogs with a pedigreed life span of over 11 years and no history of cancer. I was quoted $8000 for a pup from such a litter.

The question of epigenetics comes to mind where there is less likelihood of the genes being turned on with good diet, healthy lifestyle and no stress.

In the mean time, bring them into your home. Love them. Nurture them. Be pre emptive in their medical care amd you will have the finest friend and get more love than you can ever return.

Thank you

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Also, to add to what Lilliegrace mentioned, send in your dog's DNA to the CHIC repository and update it over time. This helps researchers track genetic issues with the breed. If your dog is unlucky and contracts a cancer, try to find a research program that is taking tissue or blood donations and contribute to the cause. It's usually free and your dog will leave a legacy of helping research into the disease. There are usually postings about research efforts in the Cancer section here.

After my first Golden died of hemangiosarcoma his acupuncture vet told me that veterinarians refer to Goldens and Boxers as tumor factories. It didn't change my desire to always have a Golden in my life--it just strengthened my resolve to do everything I possibly can to help contribute to the cause of research.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
send in your dog's DNA to the CHIC repository and update it over time.
Just did this today with Grace

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in life. As a biologist specializing in genetics I am aware that some individuals have faults in genes that normally cause a potentially cancerous cell to die. As a result, the cell proliferates instead. Goldens are prone to this; but many dogs are.

Dogs live for the "now" and really don't anticipate the future. With each new puppy that I love and nurture I am now taking that approach. I do what I can to keep him happy and healthy; but I have to accept the fact that he will age way too fast.

I have a lot of faith in research - eventually we will figure this out.

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
As an environmental biologist specializing in pathology & toxicology, I would add to Biotech's posting by saying that there are also alot of tumor promoting agents & chemicals out there as well.

Loving my goldens & hoping to help make the planet a better place for us all to live!

Lilliegrace, that $8000 price tag for a puppy from a long-lived bloodline is a bit mind boggling! I won't take my geriatric goldens for granted for sure!

Dodi Borsay Horowitz
Mardovar Goldens

Reactions: Lilliegrace

·
Registered
372 Posts
All breeds and mixed breeds get cancer, not just Goldens.

Here's a thread thats a perfect example of it.. its a thread on another site and the site isn't even dog related. Just someone posting that their dog is dieing of cancer...

... and its surprising how many others posted in this thread that their dog also died or is dieing of some form of cancer.

Bad morning at the veterinarian/ Advice? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
When we thought we were going to lose Grace, we doubted we could stand another loss from cancer, but we are Golden people so we researched where we could get a pup from a "geneticaly cleansed" source. We found this breeder in Ca who has filtered her blood line that is supposedly cancer free. If we lost Grace we were going out there to meet them and do more research.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
When I had JOY at UC Davis I asked the vets about this. They said they see a lot of Goldens with cancer, but they felt the Golden numbers were skewed because so many Golden owners will go the extra mile for their dogs . At 12, JOY was the youngest Golden I have ever lost. All my others lived to be between 15-18 years old. I got JOY at 14 weeks, I did everything right with her, human grade food, limited vaccines, no pesticides of any kind, bottled water... She should have lived to be 20!! I wasn't going to get another dog, after losing 3 in 6 months, my heart was shattered. But how selfish of me would it have been, not to give another dog the life that I can. Jordan has Hemangio in her lines, I knew it before she was even born. Is it her fault? Of course not. Can I do any thing about it? Not really, except to give her the anti cancer life style I have given to all my dogs. What I can and do do (do do ???) is to live and love like there is no tomorrow. Every day I have with her is a treasure, I am lucky and blessed to be able to share it with her. I still worry, but I try and keep it on the back burner and not let the worry steal away the time we do have. I do fear however, if things don't change soon, our beautiful breed will be lost :no:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts