Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here experienced a diagnosis of pyothorax for your pup? Our 6 month old (!) puppy is on her second day of hospitalization pre-surgery.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,780 Posts
Welcome!

I am sorry about your girl's diagnosis, I am not familiar with it.
Hopefully some of the members are and can be of help.

Sending good thoughts for your girl.

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
Did some reading on pyrothorax and it seems like a serious infectious illness. My hopes and good thoughts are with you for a successful outcome. Please keep us updated on her progress and recovery.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
No experience in dogs w pyothorax- cats it is fairly common in. I will cross my fingers for good recovery and hope you can come back and educate us on the progression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the well-wishes. I of course have been reading up on the condition as well, but was hoping maybe someone had personal (and reassuring) experience with it. Once Minnie is out of surgery and recovering, I'll leave my experiences here so anyone in the future going through this could find it. Luckily we caught her symptoms early, so her prognosis is good!

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
Yes one of the consistent themes around prognosis is catching it early is a very good indicator for successful recovery. That's very good news.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,780 Posts
Great to hear it was caught early and the prognosis is good for your girl.
Hope she is doing well, wishing her a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minnie is home and healthy! For anyone who finds this thread with a similar issue, here's what happened with our girl. Tuesday morning she was running around outside completely happy and unbothered. Tuesday afternoon I came home to a little bit of phlegmy vomit on the floor (we baby-gate her into an empty small tile area) and a pretty tired puppy who did not want to walk. She spent the evening laying very still and we could tell something was up, but thought she may just have an upset stomach as she had had a few soft poops. We chose to crate her in our room overnight to keep an eye on her, and she panted for most of the night (but it was fairly hot in the room). The next day, we scheduled an afternoon vet appointment, and good thing we did! When we came home to pick her up, she was nearly comatose on the floor and would not get up, lift her head, or open her eyes beyond a sliver. We had to carry her out to the vet. She had a fever of 105, but otherwise perfect bloodwork, X-rays, ultrasounds, no pain on touch, etc. After an overnight at the vet, they sent us to an emergency hospital nearby where a CT showed fluid around the lungs. Testing showed bacteria in the fluid and she was diagnosed with pyothorax. She had a sternotomy performed the next day, with ~15% of her lungs being removed due to an infected abscess caused by some sharp foreign object she had apparently inhaled somehow. She was in the hospital for 5 days total, with a chest tube for fluid draining. She came home last night and will be sedated basically for the next two weeks to heal, but she is doing really well and already trying to crawl into our laps for snuggles! Lesson learned here is that conditions can deteriorate fast (24 hours from park to hospitalization?!) and even seemingly common things (mild upset stomach, panting in a hot room) might be symptoms for something more serious. Thankfully our girl is okay!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts