Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am begging can someone please help my poor baby Nola. She is 1 year and 3 months and we have been struggling for MONTHS. She has been having GI problems (colitis) , Ear infections, excessive dander and shedding, just got spayed this week and the vet told us she had Pyometra. We have switched foods from Royal Canine large puppy to Hill's Science diet sensitive stomach and skin. She got diarrhea again and we are back on chicken and rice. She is happy, playful and has a healthy appetite. Poop is soft and orange still. Is this a food sensitivity or something more sinister?? Anyone else have these problems? I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions. Please

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,106 Posts
Sorry to hear everything you and your girl have been through.

What was the protein source of the RC large puppy?

Some dogs don't do well on chicken and will do better on Salmon, Lamb and a few other proteins.

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
I’m so sorry you’re going through this! Glad the spay got the pyometra though. Has the vet done a fecal work up recently? Are you giving her any probiotics with her food? I would put her on a fish based food with probiotics (if she’s not already on them) and give her at least a week to level out, but you should see improvement within a day or two on a new food - IF there isn’t something else going on and the new food agrees with her.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Poor baby (and poor you!). FWIW I JUST read this article which seems to cover many of the symptoms you mentioned. It's worth discussing with your vet (or you may need to get a second opinion from a holistic vet): 4 Simple Steps To Manage Yeast Infections In Dogs

Reactions: Ffcmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear everything you and your girl have been through.

What was the protein source of the RC large puppy?

Some dogs don't do well on chicken and will do better on Salmon, Lamb and a few other proteins.
It was Chicken! Does this sound like a chicken or a grain sensitivity?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m so sorry you’re going through this! Glad the spay got the pyometra though. Has the vet done a fecal work up recently? Are you giving her any probiotics with her food? I would put her on a fish based food with probiotics (if she’s not already on them) and give her at least a week to level out, but you should see improvement within a day or two on a new food - IF there isn’t something else going on and the new food agrees with her.
They have done two fecal exams and a blood test. We tried fitaflora and husk fiber but they stopped helping after a couple weeks. We were looking at switching to zignature food possibly a fish based

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
They have done two fecal exams and a blood test. We tried fitaflora and husk fiber but they stopped helping after a couple weeks. We were looking at switching to zignature food possibly a fish based
I am not a huge fan of Zignature. Too many cases of DCM on it. Maybe try Annamaet Option. It’s fish based and corn, wheat, and soy free, but not grain free. I’d get a small bag to start out with in case it doesn’t work for her.

Also, on the subject of yeast, a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in her water will help with that. Anecdotally, I think it helps with breath, coat, and digestion too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having worked at a w4hr vet emerg hospital, i have seen mang goldens with allergies to poultry. You could try a Purina Pro Plan Puppy Sensitive skin and stomach.

Or Hills H/D or D/D or try a novel protein diet such as kangaroo or rabbit.

Honestly i would try a salmon based food and see if things improve. A 12 week diet trial would probably bevworth mentioning tovyour Vet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poor baby (and poor you!). FWIW I JUST read this article which seems to cover many of the symptoms you mentioned. It's worth discussing with your vet (or you may need to get a second opinion from a holistic vet): 4 Simple Steps To Manage Yeast Infections In Dogs
Wow, the article which you suggested above has a lot of helpful information!
Thanks for the reference.
Do you add a probiotic to your dog's food?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts