Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Keisel & Miller's Mom
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've heard about Trifexis and also Comfortis (pills for flea protection). I was interested in it because it seems to be more convenient than the usual topical solution that I've used in the past. I asked a few of the owners of Keisel's brother's on FB what they used. One male used Trifexis twice with a result of him throwing it up and now is on Comfortis doing fine, another male is on Comfortis with Heartguard as well with no problems.

The reason why I ask is now with this new thread (http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...lea-tic-meds-may-have-fatal-side-effects.html), :no: I'm really worried about giving Comfortis to Keisel. He has been fine on a topical called Firstshield (Banfield product) however I would like to get away from topical flea medicine.

I would like to hear pros/cons from people who have used Comfortis. I have read cons about Trifexis now and I'm hoping that Comfortis doesn't have that many bad stories with it as well. If it does then I will hold off on flea medicine and look for other options (maybe flea collar or natural prevention ideas) :confused:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never used comfortis, but I do use trifexis with Rain and my Chi and have never had a problem.....I might look into comfortis though....

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I used Trifexis on Bear until this month. We switched because of the price and because we want tick protection. Be aware comfortis and trifexis DO NOT cover ticks. The vets and vet techs try to tell me trifexis covers ticks but it doesn't.

We were told to give trifexis with food. He never threw it up. We gave it the first few times when we were home to watch for adverse reactions. He had none.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I've given Comfortis to all my dogs with no problems. I really like the product and it works well. I've started staggering the heartworm and flea meds-- give one on the first of the month an done on the 15th. Not sure I need to do but it just seems safer to space them out.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I will NEVER ever give Comfortis or Trifexis to one of my dogs again. Our Toby had a terrible reaction to Comfortis after his second dose on January 1 of this year. It took almost a month and over $3000 to get him back to health. He is a boy with some digestive enzyme deficiencies and I don't know if that played a factor in his extreme reaction (repeated vomiting, lethargy, nausea and failure to thrive) or if it was just a terrible reaction to the drug. I noticed the first month he was less energetic/lethargic for several days, but the second month I knew immediately we had a major issue going on. I gave it with food, separate from other medications too. There are several threads on adverse reactions to these medications on the forum and I've put Toby's story there in more detail.

Since Comfortis and Trifexis use the same ingredient for the flea component reactions can be similar.

Our puppy was given 2 complimentary Trifexis months and while he didn't react violently like our Toby, he was lethargic and I switched him to Heartgard Plus and Parastar Plus, which kills both fleas and ticks.

One other option is Sentinel which is back on the market for HW & fleas, but I have never tried it on a dog.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I (when I have to) use comfort is ONLY in summer months, but I try not too. In Mississippi, fleas are ridiculous!!! Have you tried DE? Have you treated the yard?

Reactions: Roushbabe

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,117 Posts
My two adults were previously on Heartgard Plus and a Comfortis tablet until Trifexis was released, which is a combo of the two. They've been on it for two years now without any problems.

I feed my guys first, then break the Trifexis tablet into four pieces, coat each piece with PB and give to them.

I always give it to them on a day I know I'm going to be home in case they should have any problems with it. So far, they have not.

I live on the NC Coast-it's very humid here similiar to FL.

I've tried every flea topical on the market over the years. The Trifexis or Comfortis is the only one that has worked for my guys. Ticks are not a problem in my area, so I don't use anything for them.

Here is the link to a thread, member IowaGold who is a Vet did a PDF spread sheet comparing flea/heartworm/tick products. This might be helpful to you deciding what you want to use-

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...t-comparing-heartworm-flea-tick-products.html

·
Keisel & Miller's Mom
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will NEVER ever give Comfortis or Trifexis to one of my dogs again. Our Toby had a terrible reaction to Comfortis after his second dose on January 1 of this year. It took almost a month and over $3000 to get him back to health. He is a boy with some digestive enzyme deficiencies and I don't know if that played a factor in his extreme reaction (repeated vomiting, lethargy, nausea and failure to thrive) or if it was just a terrible reaction to the drug. I noticed the first month he was less energetic/lethargic for several days, but the second month I knew immediately we had a major issue going on. I gave it with food, separate from other medications too. There are several threads on adverse reactions to these medications on the forum and I've put Toby's story there in more detail.

Since Comfortis and Trifexis use the same ingredient for the flea component reactions can be similar.

Our puppy was given 2 complimentary Trifexis months and while he didn't react violently like our Toby, he was lethargic and I switched him to Heartgard Plus and Parastar Plus, which kills both fleas and ticks.

One other option is Sentinel which is back on the market for HW & fleas, but I have never tried it on a dog.
Keisel has some GI issues as well so this does concern me. I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through with Toby. I'm trying to get away from the topical ointment so maybe I'll look into Sentinel.

I (when I have to) use comfort is ONLY in summer months, but I try not too. In Mississippi, fleas are ridiculous!!! Have you tried DE? Have you treated the yard?
What do you mean by DE? No I haven't treated the yard but I've been thinking about just taking a preventative approach. I hate the idea of Keisel taking to many medications.

My two adults were previously on Heartgard Plus and a Comfortis tablet until Trifexis was released, which is a combo of the two. They've been on it for two years now without any problems.

I feed my guys first, then break the Trifexis tablet into four pieces, coat each piece with PB and give to them.

I always give it to them on a day I know I'm going to be home in case they should have any problems with it. So far, they have not.

I live on the NC Coast-it's very humid here similiar to FL.

I've tried every flea topical on the market over the years. The Trifexis or Comfortis is the only one that has worked for my guys. Ticks are not a problem in my area, so I don't use anything for them.

Here is the link to a thread, member IowaGold who is a Vet did a PDF spread sheet comparing flea/heartworm/tick products. This might be helpful to you deciding what you want to use-

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...t-comparing-heartworm-flea-tick-products.html
Thank you so much for the link. I agree it's really humid over here on the east coast so I do need to be aware of the risks.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,117 Posts
I'm wondering if the humidity along the SE Coast doesn't have something to do with the effectiveness of the topicals. Purely a guess on my part......

As I said, I tried them all, even stopped the Trifexis one month and used a new topical release about a year ago, it didn't work either. I went back to the Trifexis and have stayed with it ever since.

Hope you're able to find one that works for you.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We've used Trifexis fors around 2 years now with no problems. We don't seem to have ticks around here and Hank HATED the topicals so Trifexis is a good choice for us. I always give it after a meal. The first few times I watched him for any reaction.

As with any medication there is a potential for negative side effects.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I use Heartguard Plus for heartworm protections and Comfortis for fleas. I used to use topicals, but they seemed to loose effectiveness over time. Taya has no issues with Comfortis. I don't use it ever month, but usually ever other month or so. If you have a seizure dog check with your vet first.

·
Keisel & Miller's Mom
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I keep having conflicting thoughts about using this product on Keisel. I would never be able to live with myself if he got seriously sick or had a seizure from this medicine which I have found with my research. I might go with the route of keeping him clean and checking him for fleas and ticks and maybe get a flea collar instead.

I also just recently found this product.. has anyone heard of it? It's called Pet Protector and its suppose to protect the pet from fleas/ticks with scalar waves. This is from their website (Pet Protector):

"
HOW IT WORKS?
The Pet Protector Disc is charged with scalar waves and protects the entire body of your pet, forming an impenetrable shield against fleas and ticks. Animals can't feel these waves, because they affect only parasites. Scalar waves create an environment that parasites cannot stand, which makes our product the perfect protector for your pet, as it repels the parasites before they can even attack your cat, dog, horse or any other pet. Simply attach the Pet Protector disc to the pet's collar. To guarantee effectiveness it should stay attached to the collar permanently (even during your pet's bath or veterinary visits).
Pet Protector is a turning point in the struggle for the preservation of animal health."

·
the party's crashing us
4,473 Posts
I've given Comfortis to all my dogs with no problems. I really like the product and it works well. I've started staggering the heartworm and flea meds-- give one on the first of the month an done on the 15th. Not sure I need to do but it just seems safer to space them out.
This is what I do. Comfortis on the 1st of the month and Ivomec on the 15th.

Reactions: OutWest

·
Chesters Mama Erika
1,996 Posts
I've been using comfortis since march and we love it. We're going to switch to teifexsis next month only because it has the heart wormer in it as well. Chester hates tropicals and they never worked
For us so the oral method has truly helped us.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've used comfortis with my three dogs for a while now because we have some kind of bionic fleas around here this year that seem to laugh at spot on treatments. My dogs are fine, no fleas anymore. Only problem I have with it is my dogs don't like the tablet. I buy a can of dog food with gravy in it, crush the pill and mix it with the food and the dogs gobble it up. (I divide the can food onto three plates, crush a pill and mix it, then I do the same for the other two pills.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sparkles become allergic to topicals I was worried to try the comfortis but to be honest a dog can have a problem with any medicine. I gave it on a day the first time when the vet was open and I could be on hand to watch her carefully for several days in a row just in case. Its been three years, two for Boots I have had way better flea control with it then the topical.

·
Registered
539 Posts
DE is diatomaceous earth ...but it must be Food Grade.
It is like fine powder that kills fleas by drying out their shells ....harmless to dogs and people. You can put some in a spray bottle and add water and then spray the dog or dust the dog, rug and/or lawn with it. I just got some but have not tried it because my dog does not have fleas. The vet gave me a Comfortis pill when my dog was a puppy but I researched it and decided there were too many ifs....so I NEVER gave it to her and never will.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We have used both Trifexis and Comfortis. We didn't have a problem with either. My mom has used Comfortis for years on her Shelties and has never had any issue.

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,117 Posts
There are possible side effects or risks of any of the flea preventatives that are currently on the market whether it be Comfortis, Trifexis, or one of the topicals.

If I were you, I would discuss the ones you are considering with your Vet and the risk involved with each and then make your choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts