Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done all of my research on breeders and chosen two that I believe are reputable and have puppies on the way. I have answered questionnaires and am waiting for pregnancies to be confirmed.

Both will want deposits once pregnancy is confirmed. What do I do? Will the breeders know how many puppies (and how many of each gender) are available when asking for a deposit, and therefore be able to guarantee I will get one? Or are the deposits only to assure my place in line and no guarantee that a puppy will be available? If so, do I put deposits on both puppies, hoping that one comes through? Are deposits refundable?

I certainly don't want to put a breeder in a difficult position if I put down a deposit and then choose another puppy instead. But I don't want a situation where I choose to put a deposit with just one breeder, only to find out I won't be able to get a puppy after all. And then it will be too late to get one from the other breeder.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how does this all work?

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
there is no way to confirm gender and even estimates via ultrasound can be wrong. Ask the breeders if the deposits are refundable if they cannot supply a puppy. In my case if a deposit is submitted and I don't have a pup available there are 2 options, wait on my next litter or I refund ....

·
SunKissed Goldens
975 Posts
there is no way to confirm gender and even estimates via ultrasound can be wrong. Ask the breeders if the deposits are refundable if they cannot supply a puppy. In my case if a deposit is submitted and I don't have a pup available there are 2 options, wait on my next litter or I refund ....
I have the same policy.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Different breeders have different policies. I don't take deposits, some take deposits as soon as a pregnancy is confirmed and others take deposits at a week of age. Policies will vary as far as the deposits being refundable also. You need to check with each breeder regarding their policy.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
I think it's fine to inquire and be on a few different lists at once, but imo an actual deposit is a promise to the breeder, who might even turn other good homes away considering a puppy spoken for by you. There is just a fate/lottery effect where mother nature is concerned, and sometimes you get your deposit back because there isnt a pup, and you have to start over. I wouldnt put two deposits down personally.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I think it's fine to inquire and be on a few different lists at once, but imo an actual deposit is a promise to the breeder, who might even turn other good homes away considering a puppy spoken for by you..
this is my personal opinion as well, If you don't feel comfortable placing a deposit prior to waiting on the whelp and resulting puppies, you could ask to be kept in the loop, but this does not guarantee you a puppy ...

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Are both prospective litters due at the same time?
Do you have a gender preference?
Do you know where you fall on the waiting list? (ie. 1st or 8th?)

All good things to think about. I agree with Arcane and Jill, a deposit shows a commitment to the breeder. I would not place two deposits. I would weigh my options as to where I stand on the waiting list if I don't have a gender preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts