Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know a lot of you feed your dogs the pro plan, and I'm wondering how everyone likes it. Murphy has had consistent loose stools from the Calif. Naturals we've had him on for over 4 weeks. He also has some skin allergies, and the vet said it may be his food, so I wanted to try switching him before we do expensive allergy tests. He also has had consistent ear infections. I'm really thinking about pro plan.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Never thought I would say this...but love it (so far). Scout never liked her food, but now loves it after I switched. She's been on it for a few months now, and whenever someone mentions 'filler' I just shrug my shoulders. Hey, it meets AAFCO, my dog likes it and is healthy.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Of course I have the least experience of you all ( 3 more days !!!), but somewhere I read that you can't conclude anything about the relationship between their food and allergies unless you've been feeding it for a couple of months. I don't know where, anymore, but you might want to look into that.

·
16,000 Posts
I feed it exclusively and love it. My dogs NEVER turn their noses up at it, and love great, feel great, are healthy, long lived, and have lovely coats.

I have fed it for over 15 years. No problems ever with it, and have switched dogs over to it "cold turkey" without issue.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tucker used to eat it before we found out that he has a corn allergy, which was causing his constant ear infections. He now eats California Natural and hasn't had a single ear infection since we switched. Our GSD eats Pro Plan and does very well on it and our new puppy is going to be coming home on Pro Plan as well. A lot of people have great success with it. It just didn't work for Tucker because of his allergies, but it works very well for our German Shepherd and hopefully Tyson (new pup) will do well on it when he comes home.

I'm just curious as to what formula of California Natural you are feeding. Tucker had loose stools on the lamb formula of CN last winter, but his stools have been perfect on the herring & sweet potato formula of CN that we started him on back in October.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Has Murphy been checked for coccidia? It requires a separate fecal test from other parasites and is a common cause of loose stools in puppies.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has Murphy been checked for coccidia? It requires a separate fecal test from other parasites and is a common cause of loose stools in puppies.
Yes actually he was just tested for a bunch of things last Saturday, and that was one of them. That's what's making me wonder if it's his food.

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Jupiter loves the Pro Plan. I will say that, as a youngster, he gained weight a little faster that I would have liked. But we switched to Pro Plan Adult when he was around 4 months (on the advice of our vet) and he slimmed right out. I have never had problems with loose stools or anything like that, and his coat is just as soft and shiny as any golden coat I have ever seen!

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Yes actually he was just tested for a bunch of things last Saturday, and that was one of them. That's what's making me wonder if it's his food.
Coccidia often does not show up in fecal checks. If I have "unexplained" diarrhea in a young puppy, and no other worms/parasites are present, I just treat for coccidia and 9 times out of 10, it clears up.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coccidia often does not show up in fecal checks. If I have "unexplained" diarrhea in a young puppy, and no other worms/parasites are present, I just treat for coccidia and 9 times out of 10, it clears up.
It really isn't diarrhea. He had a bout of that over the weekend, but it was the flu causing it. His stools are just very soft all the time, but weren't when we still had him on the Puppy Chow that the breeder had him on.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
My dogs are healthy, happy and have the best coat. They are on PP and are doing great!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Mine all love the proplan. I would not buy the kind with the shredded pieces in it. Go for puppy and then chicken & rice formula adult.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine eat Pro Plan. The one for sensitive skin and stomach and they LOVE it. Scout is very sensitive to different foods and this one agrees so well with him. We used to feed EaglePack and while they liked it and he was less itchy, he still had ear junk. On Pro Plan, no itchies, no ear junk and they love it! And it is so much cheaper than Eaglepack or any of the other foods we've tried.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We use Pro Plan as well and Cooper loves it. Our new puppy is on Pro Plan sensitive stomach adult. The breeder wants us to continue using adult food. Is that normal? On advice from our Vet we had Coop on PP large breed puppy until a year.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Molly eats only ProPlan to! Before that she wasn't really enthusiastic with her food. But after I changed it to ProPlan she ate normally again and she now always finishes her bowls! She likes when I pour a little bit of water on her kibbles to! :wave:

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
Both of my boys eat Pro Plan and they love it. Never had any problems on it at all.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Both of mine eat PP and love it. Does anyone have a secret place they purchase theirs from that is cheaper than Petco or Petsmart? Thrifty law students are dying to know... =)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts