Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been trying to find interesting treats and snacks to put into the Kong for variety sakes his as much as ours.

My wife purchased Purina Moist and Meaty to fill the void in the Kong. It works well for it since you are able to squeeze it together like hamburger meat. The worst part of it is that our golden has gotten hooked on the Moist and Meaty. LOL

We feed him Purina Pro Plan (non-shredded) for his regular food. Recently, we have added a packet of this Moist and Meaty food. I don't know what is in this stuff but he eats like he has been starved for food. LOL

We were just curious if anyone feeds their dog the Moist Meaty as a normal part of their diet plan ? It is pretty expensive stuff so I can't imagine it becoming his normal diet plan.

·
Registered
343 Posts
We fed one of our old goldens this just to get him to eat something. Our vet said it was very high calorie and wouldn't recommend it for anything except to gain weight.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I just looked at the ingredients and it's definitely not something that I would ever feed our dogs. It has high fructose corn syrup along with a ton of other unhealthy fillers and all kinds of added colors. Tucker would get the worst ear infection ever if he touched that stuff. You can actually make your own dog treats that are much healthier. For Kongs, we usually just use frozen peanut butter and bananas or plain yogurt. Honestly, I would stay away from the Purina Moist and Meaty. It's just loaded with junk.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
With the second ingredient being high fructose corn syrup...it's no wonder dogs are crazy about it. They like sweet things just like we do. Note that sugar is not good for teeth (....or general health!).

·
Premium Member
17,922 Posts
It would be like eating Taco Bell tacos every day, really bad for your health.

INGREDIENTS: Beef by-product, soy grits, soy flour, high fructose corn syrup, wheat flour, water, corn syrup, beef, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), sorbic acid (a preservative), calcium propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ethoxyquin (a preservative), added color (Red 40), Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. Z-4103

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Personally I wouldn't feed this even as a treat. Here's the ingredient listing I found.... Many dogs have issues with soy, not to mention ethoxyquin (wow I've never ever seen it listed as an ingredient before), menadione, high fructose corn syrup (WHAT?)

• the freedom to use Moist & Meaty as a meal, a topper or a special snack!
  • the tail-wagging, dog-drooling thrill of moist tasty morsels made with real meat!
  • the excitement of a clean, convenient and easy-to-use pouch!
And it's available in 5 delicious flavors!
PURINA® BRAND MOIST & MEATY® DOG FOOD - RISE & SHINE AWAKEN BACON AND EGG FLAVOR

INGREDIENTS: Beef by-product, soy flour, soy grits, high fructose corn syrup, water, wheat flour, corn syrup, bacon (preserved with sodium nitrite), phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried egg product, calcium propionate (a preservative), lecithin, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, and other color), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ethoxyquin (a preservative), Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, choline chloride, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. A-4114

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
You don't want your pup to be dependent on the wet food to make him eat the dry food.... I've seen that happen to many dogs and it becomes a very high maintainance issue. Not to mention, there are much healthier things to put in a kong than this... lower calories.

I'd recommend soaking his Pro Plan in a dish of water to soak it then stuffing it in his kong with a mixture of fruits, veggies, peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, some pro plan canned food. You can feed him his meal in it-- if he eats 1 cup three times a day, put his 1 cup of food + some 'glue' like PB, yogurt, etc to hold it all together and place it in the freezer overnight. It will be harder for him to eat it and will be hours of fun!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
The canned Trippets tripe is a very healthful addition to kibble. Dogs go NUTS for it, it's full of nutrients and is a wonderful appetite stimulant for a sick dog too. You could use it along with kibble in a kong if desires.

·
a new day everyday
410 Posts
Agree with most of the people above. Purina, in general is YUCK for all dogs irrespective of any allergies they have or not.

I would urge you to www.dogfoodanalysis.com where you can see what kibble is best out there......

Any supermarket brand, along with Purina, Hill's, Science Plan, Royal Canine, Iams, Eukanuba are bad for dogs......most of them are NOT grain-free and have a bunch of fillers and nothing nutritionally beneficial to the dog.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
For kongs, I do the usual peanut butter and banana with a 2 big dog cookies wedged in so the kong lasts a little longer. I filled one up last night with cottage cheese and kibble and I'll see how Ranger likes that.

For "topping" on kibble, I'll occasionally crack a raw egg and mix it into his food for a treat, plus it makes his coat shinier when he gets them twice a week.

Like the other posters, I'll urge you to find something healthier for your dog, even if it is used as a treat in a kong. I definitely wouldn't be feeding that on kibble. If you want a "treat" kong, you can buy kong product fillers like peanut butter or cheese or liver flavoured to squeeze into it. If Ranger's had an active month, I'll sometimes melt cheese in his kong and stuff with pieces of hot dog. It's a high fat, non-healthy treat so he only gets one of those about once every 2 months, but it's still healthier than Purina Moist and Meaty.

There's tons of recipes on the kong website and on the internet for healthy ways to stuff a kong - google and take a look. Some are as easy as stuffing leftovers (mashed potatoes, beef, kraft dinner, etc) into them or other fridge items like cottage cheese, applesauce, peanut butter, bananas, baby carrots, etc.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Agree with most of the people above. Purina, in general is YUCK for all dogs irrespective of any allergies they have or not.

I would urge you to www.dogfoodanalysis.com where you can see what kibble is best out there......

Any supermarket brand, along with Purina, Hill's, Science Plan, Royal Canine, Iams, Eukanuba are bad for dogs......most of them are NOT grain-free and have a bunch of fillers and nothing nutritionally beneficial to the dog.
I think this is a very broad and over-generalized statement. Dogfoodanalysis.com is not the end-all, be-all for dog food selection.

Grain-free foods are not for every dog. Not all dogs are allergic to grains.

Iams, Eukanuba, RC, SD, Purina, and Hill's will not kill your dog. There are nutrients and value to the foods or otherwise dogs would die from malnutrition. There are dogs thriving on these foods because some of the grain free and higher quality foods are too rich for some dog's digestive tracts. To make this statement is not accurate.

Yes, I'll be feeding grain free, but you can't condemn all brands that aren't grain free or all foods because they aren't what you feed. Many members have had success with these brands. Some dogs just can't handle the super premium foods, but they are better alternatives to Pedigree, Old Roy, Kibbles N Bits, ETC.

·
a new day everyday
410 Posts
I think this is a very broad and over-generalized statement. Dogfoodanalysis.com is not the end-all, be-all for dog food selection.

Grain-free foods are not for every dog. Not all dogs are allergic to grains.

Iams, Eukanuba, RC, SD, Purina, and Hill's will not kill your dog. There are nutrients and value to the foods or otherwise dogs would die from malnutrition. There are dogs thriving on these foods because some of the grain free and higher quality foods are too rich for some dog's digestive tracts. To make this statement is not accurate.

Yes, I'll be feeding grain free, but you can't condemn all brands that aren't grain free or all foods because they aren't what you feed. Many members have had success with these brands. Some dogs just can't handle the super premium foods, but they are better alternatives to Pedigree, Old Roy, Kibbles N Bits, ETC.
I agree that grain-free food may not be alright for every dog, but dogs out in the wild are not eating grain.

Nevertheless I admit that my post is slightly biased.

The point to take from from the last two posts is the following:

Don't just buy food innocently and naively. Don't be fooled by labels and pretty pictures. Do a bit of research and look around you.

Learn how to read ingredients before buying any dog food out there.

There are some nasty products out there.

Apologies to anyone who may have been "startled" by my post above.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, Thanks for all the great answers! I was very surprised at how bad it is for a dog. Especially, all the High Fructose Corn Syrup. The government needs to do a study and see if they need to get rid of that stuff. I watched a independent film on PBS about corn and one of the side stories was about the HFCS. It was disturbing how the obesity rates tracked right along with the use of HFCS. Then last night I read about Aspartame being just as bad for people. So, I guess the key to this is stay away from all processed foods.

Like I said in my original post, we had not planned to give this to him all the time mainly because of the expense. After seeing how bad the ingredients are it needs to go in the trash.

Thanks again !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts