Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is something that I have been dealing with since we made the decision to get our golden.

Our families are HUGE on rescues. When we decided to get Heidi, the family was quite "shocked" and perhaps dissapointed that we were going with a PB. Many family members are "mixed breeds make the BEST dogs and the only way to go"

Yes, I was all about rescuing, giving a dog in need a home. We did research and contact numerous rescues, but either they could not guarantee what they were mixed with (one was a golden cross .... But they thought it could be with a border collie or a st Bernard!) well there is abit of a size difference between a border and a st Bernard. Finding a puppy was few and far between and slim pickings.

The family seemed to comprehend our choice that with our smallest (1 and 2 years) of our 4 children that we thought it was important and our responsibility to know temperament history (meet and view the parents), and start with a puppy. We did consider adopting an older dog, but many at the SPCA say "may not be good with children please bring family members in for meeting" , or they all said not recommended for kids under 10, or rescues did not foster them with kids so were not sure "but sure they would be". I am not really in agreement to use my kids as guinea pigs? I know any dog of any breed, age, history and kids can be a risk, but we felt giving ourselves and the puppy a best start at success as possible.

We love our Heidi, she is a wonderful girl, we know we made the best and right decision for OUR FAMILY ; this I am not questioning at all. I was just wondering if anyone has faced "criticism" for not rescuing? And I guess I do carry some guilt, but not regret I will assure you.

My plan in the future (once my two smallest are a bit older) is to adopt a mature golden. I am hooked on the breed and not certain I would ever be without one .... Or two even? Lol

I hold the highest respect for everyone who does rescue whether a mixed, or a purebred. I look up to you, especially those that adopt the older dogs. You are special people. Many older dogs do not find homes because people feel "cheated" on the years that have passed on the dogs. Kudos to you, I believe an older dog is more experienced in love and can make up for all those past years in the years they have left. You are truly remarkable people.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Dad to Bogey and Reese
1,119 Posts
I did also.

I was going to rescue another golden, when my senior rescue GR passed. My daughter asked about getting a puppy, and I thought about what I was taking away from her having never owning a puppy. So we found a breeder and went the puppy route.

We love our boy and have no regrets, but now my DD comments on how the whole puppy thing is over rated, and suspect she will grow up a rescuer as result ;)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Please don't feel guilty about getting a purebred Golden from a breeder. There is nothing wrong with it.
I have a purebred Golden from a breeder, I also have two rescues, a lab mix and a dachshund. Before that I only had purebred Goldens from breeders. I don't feel a lick guilty about that. Why would I? And I really don't care what others think :) I think all that counts is that we love our dogs.

And I will continue to get purebred Golden pups from breeders :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Our family doesnt care either way. DH's family used to breed Shih tzu's, and had other dogs and cats as well. They just love animals no matter where they came from. We have done rescue animals before, we think its great and will do it again. I have gotten animals in all different ways. My cat DH got for me just from a news paper add, then we had a dog and a cat that both came from the human society. I actually wont even go there with DH anymore because he makes it impossible to walk out without something. Lol. Now we have Milla. We picked a golden because they are great family dogs and easy to train. I looked at rescues and had the same issues you had. We have a 5 year old and didn't want to take a chance with them if they may not be good with kids. I started looking at breeders, but most of them wouldn't sell to someone with kids under 10 years, plus had a ton of other requirments we werent fans of. We ended up just finding someone online who had a litter she was selling. We couldn't be happier. She is such a great pup.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Don't feel guilty. I totally admire people who rescue, but I have specific goals for my dog ownership, and they're best met with a well-bred Golden. I won't detail a whole host of reasons, because I don't want to make it sound like it's somehow better than rescuing, but buying a purebred puppy and rescuing a dog are two completely different projects. It's not like one is the "right" way to get a dog and the other is "wrong."

·
Charlotte
6,157 Posts
I think it is a personal choice, rescue or puppy. It's not those of us who get a puppy and are responsible owners who are creating the problem of so many dogs in shelters, it is the people who think dogs are disposable items.
And i'm not saying this to discount the wonderful people who bring a rescue dog into their home, I'm just saying that there is more than one option.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You know what's really special? There's a bumper-sticker I've been seeing around town a lot with the caption "Breeders Kill Shelter Dogs". !! Wow. I don't feel one shred of guilt for purchasing my guys from a breeder, and I think it's irresponsible owners who are ' killing' shelter dogs. I want a golden, I want to start with a puppy, and I shouldn't have to feel guilty about that because irresponsible people are letting their dogs reproduce inappropriately. I think rescuing is great, and I have done it in the past, but if I choose not and folks give me trouble about it....well, they're going to have a fight on their hands.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't feel guilty - you made the right choice for you.

We got Shadow from a breeder because I wanted the puppy experience - I wanted to pick up the little furball and raise him from the beginning - and I wanted a golden. I wanted that experience at least once. I think after Shadow, I'll rescue a golden - but for the first one, I wanted a puppy.

I remember I was out walking Shadow a few months ago and we ran into a mother with her child (they were also walking a golden). The little girl was so excited about puppy Shadow and playing with him. She asked her mother why they didn't have a puppy and the mother (in front of me) turns to her and goes "because we RESCUE our dogs - we don't buy them." I picked Shadow up and walked away.

·
Registered
802 Posts
We very much wanted to rescue too - but with having a 5 and 9 year old I really wanted to know the temperment of the dog from the very beginning so we went with a purebred from a breeder. Don't feel bad - we all have to do what's best for our family. I hope that a rescue dog will be possible sometime down the line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jessiesGirl: I agree. It is those that get the puppies, perhaps do not do their research, tire of them or don't commit the time and energy it takes to train them. They then "dump" them at the shelter (no fault of the poor animal). Sad thing is many will continue to do so over and over again and never learn or recognize their part in the population of these shelters/rescues.

People have said to me that purchasing a puppy from a breeders is contributing to shelter dogs ..... Not in our case is my defense. I tell them that we are committed to our pet for their lifetime. I will not discard any of my pets. So therefor I,as a person (and my choices) are not contributing. I cannot intercept and control what commitment or intentions that others have when they purchase(and if I could there would be no need for shelters or rescues). I also (needlessly) defend myself and say a good, responsible, reputable breeder is also committed to their dogs for a lifetime and many state that if one cannot keep your dog, that the breeder is first contact; not one that I have spoken to tells you to dump them at your local SPCA!

The amount of rescues out there needing homes is truly devastating ( sadly it is from humane error or ignorance, in my opinion). I am so thankful for the no kill shelters that will foster and give the animals a chance. And mostly for those who adopt these beautiful animals.

I wish people would realize that purchasing, or adopting a pet should be seen as the same as committing to a child. They take time, love, patience, guidance, cost a whack load of money (lol) and so much more; and if all this is given .... A companion full of unconditional love. A member of the family. A blessing.

I am not trying to say whether one way is "right or wrong". It depends on the personal choices of each individual whether they adopt or purchase. At this point, purchasing was best suited to our family. And in the future, our family will hopefully be able to accommodate a rescue. I wish people could stop being so judgmental sometimes (or in a couple friends/family members case, keep your opinions to yourself) unless you want an earful from me ?

Thanks everyone for the support, I was starting to feel a little "ganged up on" with certain people in our lives. But I never did ask if we should have any of our four children on our own or whether we should adopt one ..... So why should I care what they think with a four legged fur baby? ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ShadowGolden (again) we too have our first golden, I have admired the breed for years and I am so happy that we chose to go with the puppy "experience" for our first. Although some days I question myself "what were you thinking?" lol and it takes one look at Heidi and I remember how much joy she has brought to our family and how all the persistence, commitment and hard work is (and will be) worth it.
I will walk with my head held high with my beautiful golden at my side (or in front of me until she gets a hang of the leash/walking thing) lol.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I felt the same way, and I was almost ashamed to bring Brady out in public. The next golden we did rescue, so we have one of each.

When I was looking for Brady, my young children had lost three elderly pets in the 18 months before, and I knew they would lose two more that we had in the near future, so it was also important for me to get a healthy dog that I knew they would not have to worry about. Besides, my children were too young for the local golden rescues.

What I have learned since then is you have to think about what is right for your family at that time. Especially since you have young children, it makes it harder to rescue a dog that would be right for your family.

I know in my future, I will rescue again, but I also know I will get another well bred dog, because I would like to get more involved with this wonderful breed.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
You know what's really special? There's a bumper-sticker I've been seeing around town a lot with the caption "Breeders Kill Shelter Dogs". !! Wow. I don't feel one shred of guilt for purchasing my guys from a breeder, and I think it's irresponsible owners who are ' killing' shelter dogs. I want a golden, I want to start with a puppy, and I shouldn't have to feel guilty about that because irresponsible people are letting their dogs reproduce inappropriately. I think rescuing is great, and I have done it in the past, but if I choose not and folks give me trouble about it....well, they're going to have a fight on their hands.

Unfortunately the word breeder has a very broad definition. Here in Missouri, all the owners of puppy mills are called breeders. A reputable breeder I believe keeps dogs out of shelters.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hey everyone, this is something that I have been dealing with since we made the decision to get our golden.

Our families are HUGE on rescues. When we decided to get Heidi, the family was quite "shocked" and perhaps dissapointed that we were going with a PB. Many family members are "mixed breeds make the BEST dogs and the only way to go"

Yes, I was all about rescuing, giving a dog in need a home. We did research and contact numerous rescues, but either they could not guarantee what they were mixed with (one was a golden cross .... But they thought it could be with a border collie or a st Bernard!) well there is abit of a size difference between a border and a st Bernard. Finding a puppy was few and far between and slim pickings.

The family seemed to comprehend our choice that with our smallest (1 and 2 years) of our 4 children that we thought it was important and our responsibility to know temperament history (meet and view the parents), and start with a puppy. We did consider adopting an older dog, but many at the SPCA say "may not be good with children please bring family members in for meeting" , or they all said not recommended for kids under 10, or rescues did not foster them with kids so were not sure "but sure they would be". I am not really in agreement to use my kids as guinea pigs? I know any dog of any breed, age, history and kids can be a risk, but we felt giving ourselves and the puppy a best start at success as possible.

We love our Heidi, she is a wonderful girl, we know we made the best and right decision for OUR FAMILY ; this I am not questioning at all. I was just wondering if anyone has faced "criticism" for not rescuing? And I guess I do carry some guilt, but not regret I will assure you.

My plan in the future (once my two smallest are a bit older) is to adopt a mature golden. I am hooked on the breed and not certain I would ever be without one .... Or two even? Lol

I hold the highest respect for everyone who does rescue whether a mixed, or a purebred. I look up to you, especially those that adopt the older dogs. You are special people. Many older dogs do not find homes because people feel "cheated" on the years that have passed on the dogs. Kudos to you, I believe an older dog is more experienced in love and can make up for all those past years in the years they have left. You are truly remarkable people.

I have seen this in some families. I look at it as reverse snobbery.

The primary reason given is that they are "saving" a dog in a shelter or that mixed breed dogs are healthier. Sometimes it is the cost of a purebred dog that seems to be so bad.

I have rescued pets, (from the shelter and from the farm) and I have purchased purebred dogs, and I now breed Golden Retrievers. When I look at the emotional investment, the financial commitment, and the fact that a dog can live for 15 years, I want to stack the deck in my favor that the dog will be healthy. I also want to be sure that the temperament, size, and coat, will be what I want for my family.

Rescuing a puppy from the shelter can be like opening a present from the "secret santa" at work. You just don't know what you are going to get. I have seen a number of horror stories from people who "saved" a dog only to find you brought home someone elses behavior nightmare. As for health, many people who brought into the hybred vigor and bought a doodle pup have found that it does not always hold true.

We have some close friends that went the shelter route. They very well know that we raise Goldens but they would "never" pay that kind of money for a dog. So the lab mix they got at the local shelter turned out to be mixed with a Bloodhound. Instead of 70 pounds, he weighs 130 pounds. The money they have spent to fix his hips, more than once, could have bought 3 of my pups.

Don't buy into the snobbery!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I had the same guilt when I purchased Kenzie
For me, I wanted another golden-no discussions!
My lab is grumpy around new dogs so an adult rescue golden would have been an issue so I decided on a puppy. Golden puppies in the rescues are virtually unheard of.

Since I was going to be purchasing instead of rescueing/adopting I decided to only give my money to a reputable breeder!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Another thing is different breeds are for different people. I know a terrier would drive me crazy in my house, but somebody else might adore them. Just as goldens and great pyreneeses are my breeds, somebody else maybe could not live for all that fur, or have the patience for a dog that is stubborn. When you start dealing with mixed breeds, you have no idea what breed standards will come out.

Different dogs fit differently for each individual family.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Another thing is different breeds are for different people. I know a terrier would drive me crazy in my house, but somebody else might adore them. Just as goldens and great pyreneeses are my breeds, somebody else maybe could not live for all that fur, or have the patience for a dog that is stubborn. When you start dealing with mixed breeds, you have no idea what breed standards will come out.

Different dogs fit differently for each individual family.
Slight hijack... Cubbysan- Can you tell me a little about great pyreneeses? I had never heard of them until I was looking at rescue dogs today online and I found this one. Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Great Pyrenees | Portland, OR | Rhett. I think he is absolutly beautiful and from the sounds of it would fit perfect in our home with another dog and kid. I just dont know anything about this breed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts