Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Kate
20,713 Posts
Lol I snipped it out because people are more than capable of scrolling up a couple lines to see your full message. I do so for brevity more than anything as I don't like to make long rambling messages.
But the point of my comment was specifically regarding the form follows function statements which everyone makes despite clear evidence that dogs seem to function very well despite having really terrible structure. Your very response reiterated the message that nobody cares as long as the dogs pick up birds. That is an argument for producing a working dog that comes in all shapes and sizes. Especially if people are disregarding any need to follow, understand, adhere to a breed standard when breeding.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I admit, I'm far from an expert. I've seen show dogs with long ears and a way too long coat. I've seen field dogs with high ear sets and long spindly legs. I really like the moderate dogs best....right in the middle of the 2 extremes. I know mine aren't perfect specimens of the breed standard. They are well within the standard in most aspects, their CCA's tell me that. I understand breeding for a purpose, but I also think the other side of it should always be considered.

·
Kate
20,713 Posts
I admit, I'm far from an expert. I've seen show dogs with long ears and a way too long coat. I've seen field dogs with high ear sets and long spindly legs. I really like the moderate dogs best....right in the middle of the 2 extremes. I know mine aren't perfect specimens of the breed standard. They are well within the standard in most aspects, their CCA's tell me that. I understand breeding for a purpose, but I also think the other side of it should always be considered.
And the breeders behind both your dogs are among a very few in the obedience world who actually are breeding for the whole dog and they know and are very picky about the breed standard.

·
Registered
768 Posts
And the breeders behind both your dogs are among a very few in the obedience world who actually are breeding for the whole dog and they know and are very picky about the breed standard.
Yes, thank you. I am very lucky. I always have people ask about my dogs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am by no means an expert on the Golden Standard but I do have very strong opinions on breeders. Not because I want a structurally sound dog that can hunt or look great but because I want a healthy dog and I absolutely refuse to put money in a back yard breeders pocket. I think dog homelessness is an epidemic that we need to get under control. Buying a dog from a breeder that will not even take the dog back or help rehome him /her is just feeding into the problem. If you're not willing to look for an ethical breeder and spend the cash that a healthy well bred dog is, then just adopt! I found this article a while back and liked the way it spoke about well bred vs purebred.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts