Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yuki currently weighs 40 lbs and 20 inches tall (maybe 21 coudnt measure correctly cuz he was wriggling) at 4 months. :D i am quiet happy about it. he is pretty lean since he gets a lot of exercise daily.

i am wondering how large he is gonna be when he grows up. any guesses?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Wow, 40lbs at 4 months! He is a lot bigger than Beamer at that age, but I am sure he will slow down. At 9 months Beamer is at roughly 62 lbs.

Reactions: Yuki

·
Registered
926 Posts
He sure seems big both in weight and height.

My puppy at 3 months weighed 16lbs. We'll see what he weighs in the coming week at nearly 4 months but I know it will be no where near 40 lbs.

My now 4.5 year old weighed 30lbs at 6 months and as an adult weighs approximately 60lbs throughout the year (a little less during the summer because of a lot of swimming).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank weighed 40 lbs. at 4.5 months. Now at 2.5 years he weighs 70 lbs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Rhonda Hovan's slow growth plan for Goldens:

slowgrow

provides valuable information about target weights, exercise etc.
Here are the target weights for a Golden Retriever:

Age Weight

12 wks. 15-16 lbs.

16 wks. 22-23 lbs.

20 wks. 28-30 lbs.

While every puppy is different, 40lbs for a 4 month old is well above the target for an approximate 5 month old.

Also, 20 inches seems quite tall for a 4 month old considering the standard for a male golden adult is between 22 inches and 24 inches (+/- 1 inch). Slow growth is actually much better than a faster growth rate.

I actually measured my almost 4 month old male and he is about 15 inches at the whithers (could be off a little because I was using a tape measure). Won't know the weight until he goes in for last set of shots on Tuesday but he was 16lbs at 3 months.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I think male Goldens in the US standard are 23to 24 inches at the shoulder. Forty pounds is big for that age.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yuki currently weighs 40 lbs and 20 inches tall (maybe 21 coudnt measure correctly cuz he was wriggling) at 4 months. :D i am quiet happy about it. he is pretty lean since he gets a lot of exercise daily.

i am wondering how large he is gonna be when he grows up. any guesses?
My Huck is somewhere between 37-40 pounds at 15 weeks. He's a bigger golden, too, but also super lean. I think we just have big boys! Hehe :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Baxter is just over 50lbs at 8 months.

He was on the bigger side when he was younger, but his growth seems to really have slowed quite a lot.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
as a general rule - double their 4 month weight and youll be pretty close to their adult weight
oh so i am gonna end up with a 75-80 lbs adult dog. thats cool :D

My Huck is somewhere between 37-40 pounds at 15 weeks. He's a bigger golden, too, but also super lean. I think we just have big boys! Hehe :D
:D yup agreed, our boys sure are big and lean. Yuki was 33 lbs at 14 weeks.

I think male Goldens in the US standard are 23to 24 inches at the shoulder. Forty pounds is big for that age.
the standard the same in my country too.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baxter is just over 50lbs at 8 months.

He was on the bigger side when he was younger, but his growth seems to really have slowed quite a lot.
growth does slow down as they grow. :( talking about growth....i wish i was 1-2 inches taller myself but i cant grow any longer :doh: j/k :D

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Dakota at almost 18 months is 54 pounds, she's on the smaller size. And she could probably stand to lose some weight. Her sister is larger. It did help with the cost of spaying her though as the price goes up at 60 pounds. *S*

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

This was Sunny back in 1999 He was 4 months old and weighed in at 42 pounds. I didn't measure his height at the time. The vets were amazed that he weighed that much. He was long and really lean. They had no idea where he put it. lol

As an adult he weighed consistently in between 72 and 74 pounds and was 24 inches at the withers through out his entire adult life until he was sick with cancer. During the year he was doctored he went up to 78 pounds and then was back down to 76 when he passed on.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My boy is at almost 34 pounds at 4 months, lean and tall and seems to be growing like a weed everyday :)
:D same here. my boy is growing like a weed too lol
The vets were amazed that he weighed that much. He was long and really lean. They had no idea where he put it. lol
the same happened with us. the vet was surprised when he saw the scale's reading. "how old is he? 4 months?" thats what the vet asked though he had seen the age on the chart lol

according to the growth chart link provided by MikaTallulah...Yuki is above average a bit :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just so folks know.

The Golden Retriever Growth Chart that was provided by a poster is just a database entered by owners of Golden Retrievers. It does not by any means say that the weights are healthy or normal per standards for a given dog. It's like any of us providing information about our dogs.
There are over a 1 million registered goldens (not counting unregistered one) in the US alone so the information is based on a very very small sampling.

I would put more emphasis on information provided by Rhonda Hovan on how to raise a healthy Golden than any of the information provided in these charts. Folks need to make sure their dogs are at a healthy weight.

Just my two cents and nothing more :))

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oliver is 4 1/2 months old and weighed 40.6 lbs at the vet earlier this past week. He is about 20" tall but I'm not sure if I'm measuring the height correctly. I took this photo of Oliver this morning.
Lisa

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts