Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
I know there was a thread about this a couple of months ago, but I can't find it, so all help would be useful:)

My puppy was born on June 4. That would mean he'd be one month old on July 4th, right? But if you count weeks, he turns 4 weeks old tomorrow. So I'm confused about how people count their puppy's ages.

Is there a certain point where, when asked how old your dog is, you say in terms of months? [ex. after he turns one year old, he's "one year, one month" instead of 56 weeks?]

· Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then would is be safer to say that weeks are more "accurate" in terms of age, since month lengths can be iffy? It's just like when moms say their babies are "18 months" instead of 1.5 years. I'd imagine everyone would get incredibly annoyed if every dog's age was referred to in weeks..

· Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh gosh I love when my old posts get bumped up LOL.

I stand by counting age by weeks until the dog is 5 months old and then going by month. For example, the dog this thread was about was born on Thursday, June 4, 2015. So every Thursday, he got a week older until November 4, then he was just 5 months old. Then he was 6 months old on December 4, etc.

By the time your dog is 6 months old, it doesn’t matter if the weeks/months line up. It certainly doesn’t matter by a year or 7 years!

Reactions: Oceanside
1 - 3 of 3 Posts