Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gabbar is pretty much an outside dog, we are outside with him 80% of the time. we are letting him in every evening into the house and he goes nuts. Running super fast around all the rooms, jumping up on us as he passes us, nipping at times. What do people do when this happens? Is this normal?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Gabbar is pretty much an outside dog, we are outside with him 80% of the time. we are letting him in every evening into the house and he goes nuts. Running super fast around all the rooms, jumping up on us as he passes us, nipping at times. What do people do when this happens? Is this normal?
Just stand back and enjoy it! Go to Youtube and put in "puppy or dog zoomies", there are some great videos.

And yes, it's normal. :D

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Puppy zoomies are adorable but adult zoomies can lead to messes.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Zoomies happen because a dog has extra energy. They can be caused by anxiety and/or happiness. The anxiety is just because the dog doesn't know what to do with itself at that moment. When a pup is actually having a zoomie it is hard to reign them in. If they are not hurting themselves or others just let them work through it.

If you don't want the zoomies in the house bring the pup in on a leash and work a few of the more calming behaviors you like giving lots of rewards for the good behavior. Again it takes time and you have to build the good habits you like. Over time slowly work up to bringing the pup in without the leash restraint, still asking for those good behaviors and offering great rewards for compliance.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I miss those puppy zoomies... Bayne would slide across the floor and bank shot across the door or the cupboards, outside he would bank shot on the side of the house... it was hilarious.

·
Registered
684 Posts
LOL ... I love puppy zoomies. I knew when Mazlon was entering her elder years when she stopped leaping floor levels in a single bound and actually touched the stairs with her paws. Mazlon used to also get the zoomies after one of her baths. The trick was to beat her to my bedroom before she tried to use the bed as a towel. (I never remembered to close the door beforehand) <G>

Get out the video camera. You'll get some priceless footage.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Puppy zoomies are normal. I'm fortunate my puppy does it only outside.

Some dogs never outgrow the zoomies. My 4.5 year old Golden still has them every day
His zoomies are more intense and longer right after a walk or swimming.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Zoomies are great...be sure to take video so you'll remember. Many dogs get them after getting wet. If you can prepare for them, it helps. If dog has to be inside, put up baby gates and clear tables, and let him rip! The funniest zoomies in my house are done by our older dog, my toy spaniel, Tess. She's so pokey these days that it is very funny to see her dashing about and barking, etc.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Take all this in and double. With two pups who both are over 50lbs now, they literally sometimes bounce of walls, send the couch sliding into the wall, toys slung and I do not mean dropped, I mean head throwing..throw that toy. It is so funny and only done when they both get back in from their final walks at night. Just that last spurt of energy then both crash on the floor. So funny and as long as nothing destroyed and kids not hurt, we enjoy it. It is short lived.

When the play gets too rough, then both are put on stays on their mat. This works for about a minute with the baby and longer with our girl, but long enough for both to settle and quiet.

·
Javi's Mom
151 Posts
My pup is 4 and half months and another zoomie sufferer . In fact, he just had them 15 minutes ago lol he totally goes nuts dashing around the house :) but last saturday he had a different aproach to them :) I came in late from work and he had spent most of the day with my parents. I was so tired that i walked straight to the bedroom and sat at the edge of the bed just taking a minute. He jumped on the bed and sat for a few minutes just looking at me. Than he goes into his zoomie zone and for some 2 or 3 minutes proceeds to run in circles on top of the bed , than crashes and slept through the night lol

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Puppy zoomies are adorable but adult zoomies can lead to messes.

I agree! When they get older and bigger it's not as funny if they start breaking things. We don't allow it in our house anymore (he is 20 months) All I have to do is clap my hands and he comes over and sits and looks at me like "what?" Outside, no problem. Inside if you don't nip it in the bud it could be dangerous for you and your pup.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
We call it the 'Butt, Scoot and Boogy'. They tuck their bottoms and take off. Not bad with the Papillons, but when Dakota does it we head for the field out the back door. A good game of fetch and while she doesn't settle down, at least it's no longer as dangerous to house, possessions and people! *G*

·
Registered
199 Posts
Daisy or previous Golden had them up until the age of 7 when she went blind. Jackson our 14 week old puppy also has them. We call them crazy fits!!

When the kids were little when Daisy had them they would yell "Save Your Self!!!" and then get to a place she would not run to, usually high ground like a chair!!

Bob

·
Registered
421 Posts
I love the zoomies! Bella gets the zoomies on her leash, in her crate, in the house, anywhere, you name it. They are cute!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Jackson spent about 10 min doing zoomies this morning in the 1 1/2 of fresh snow. I expect we'll be outside later and he'll be doing more of them. Wish I could get them on video!!!!!

He came in and needed a rest before he could eat his breakfast.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts