Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
we give Pasiley tatse of wild roasted lamb 3 times a day, we have tried soaking it in warm water, etc. nothing seems to intice her. she eats a litle bit but only once (had her for 4 days) did she gooble down her food. noramlly 4 or 5 bites and she is done.
she loves her treats, cheesy hearst and loves string cheese. we dont want to just feed her cheese because we use that as training treats.

any recommendation? to make the kibble more inticing, can we sprinkle shaker cheese (parmesan) on her kibble?

sounds unhealthy to me but i wanted to check.

Also, i read a hard boiled agg? with the shell on for calcium?

Thank you all

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Hi, I would stop all treats. Put the food down and if she doesn't eat it pick it up and try later. If she's not getting any treats she will eventually get hungry enough to eat her kibble. These pups are very, very good at playing us like fiddles. Trust me..I've been there :)
Good luck.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
Ryley and Krimpy
5,727 Posts
As long as she is physically healthy. I would say like with any kid "If you don't eat your dinner you are not getting dessert." It will hurt you a lot more than her.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My dog was a slow eater until she was spayed. Now she inhales her food.

I would mix things in with her food; oatmeal, gravy, whatever meat we were eating, fruit or veggies (except grapes, onions, garlic, etc. that are not good for dogs). Not a lot, maybe a couple tablespoons at most.

Sometimes we played other tricks on her. Because she thought we were adding things every time we mixed the food in her bowl, we would just pick it up and stir it with a spoon and put it back down and then she'd decide to eat a little more. Or, we would pretend to eat it ourselves and she'd eat a little more. Or, we would just push the bowl around and make her chase it a little and then she'd eat a little more.

She's definitely outgrown that phase and eats too fast now. lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has Paisley had her first check up yet? When we first brought Gibson home he was not eating at all. It turned out he had round worms (very common in puppies). He got treated and within a day or two he was eating well. In the mean time I got some great advice from this forum to add a little plain yogurt or canned dog food to the kibble. That really got Gibson interested in the food. No matter what the reason is I know it will get worked out soon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One of my dogs just will not eat kibble. He eats canned meat with enthusiasm but he just refuses kibble. I'm sure if he got hungry enough he'd eat it, but personally I was happier finding something he preferred.

The ones who do eat kibble like some brands and not others, so maybe if you want to keep your puppy on kibble, you could try another type?

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
We use Dannon All Natural Plain yogurt. A tablespoon with each bowl of kibble(we started with a teaspoon). We started using a teaspoon of canned pumpkin(not the pie filling) when she had diarrhea and we are still using it, because she likes it so much. Our vet said there is no harm in using it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts