Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are supposed to be picking up our puppy in another state in 3 weeks and our breeder just discovered that our puppy has Seborrhea. Fortunately she shared this with us immediately and is giving us time to decide if we want to go through with picking her up. Will you please share your experience with dandruff, Seborrhea and your Golden? We want this puppy so badly and have been waiting for to bring her home from months. From what I have read, I will need to bathe her weekly with a special shampoo and vacuum daily. Does anyone have any other advice? I just want to make sure we are the right family for her and that I don't regret our decision.
 

·
Puddles
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
Get a genetic testing kit from Embark and see if this is Ictichoisis. It's a genetic problem that can be avoided if the breeder takes the time to do the testing. It can be mild or it can be a big pain to deal with for the life of the dog. If you have not yet gotten this puppy I would ask the breeder to test the pups. Did they test the sire/dam for this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Breeder has done all the testing. Dam is a carrier and Sire is not. She says it is not ichthyosis but another mutation that does not have any DNA testing available yet.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
946 Posts
Have you seen the genetic testing results verifying that dam is a carrier and sire is clear?

If you haven’t seen it, I would ask for proof. If she cannot provide proof, it is a safe bet that she did not do ichthyosis or genetic testing and she is being dishonest, and the puppy does have symptoms of ich.

We noticed when we went to meet Denver At 6 weeks, that he had flaky/oily skin all over his belly and armpits. When I got home I thought more about it, did lots of googling and read about ichthyosis. When I asked the breeder she said the same thing to me. “The dam is affected but don’t worry the sire is clear”. I didn’t ask for proof of the DNA test, I just believed her.

We went through with getting Den and for several months we didn’t see any flaking. When he got to be about 6 months was when the flake returned. To spare you a long story, after getting absolutely nowhere with the breeder and finding out there were other things she was dishonest about, we ran a DNA test on Denver through Paw Print. He came back as affected, clearly.

I have his skin under control with religious bi-weekly bathing and grooming with expensive shampoo, omega supplements, brushing every day, and spot-on essential oil treatments. He swims like crazy and the fresh water seems help.

It is time consuming, expensive and has been a frustrating process. Now you wouldn’t even know he had it unless you were really looking, but again I am RELIGIOUS about grooming.

Bottom line, get proof from the breeder. Don’t just take their word for it. If the testing has been done they will have no problem sending it to you.

EDIT: There is talk of a new strain of ichthyosis popping up, but I’m not sure how common that is or if they have determined that it is actually going on, so I’d want to see the genetic results she says she has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
My experience is identical to @Emmdenn . I have nothing to add other then being another person that agrees 100%. Moe has ICT and I deal with it but I would never knowingly do it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
try searching... Canine Seborrhea Natural Treatment. Canine Seborrhea Holistic Treatment. Canine Seborrhea Homeopathic Treatment
Did this happen after the puppy vaccines? I have spoke to others that had healthy puppies, then shortly after the vaccines, they got Seborrhea. They fed SARDINES or fish with the pet food. They added some COD LIVER OIL to the pet food. They washed with dandruff shampoo for dogs. The vaccines can damage the immune system and this can be symptom. So feeding fish, washing with dog dandruff shampoo, and after rinsing, and towel drying, they sponge on Apple Cider VINEGAR or even White Vinegar on the dog and let vinegar air dry, this helps control and kill off the fungal yeast seborrhea. Add Garlic and Fenugreek supplements, as that helps kill off the internal excessive yeast growth. Many Goldens are very sensitive to the toxins in vaccines. Was your puppy vaccinated with more than one vaccine at a time? This can really damage the immune system. Now this Golden puppy has a damaged immune system, so now need to get back to healthy. No more vaccines, as this golden puppy is highly sensitive. If you continue to vaccinate a dog with a damaged immune system and has health issues like Seborrhea, Allergies, Itchy, Yeast in Ears, etc, then those symptoms will get worst, or added health issues will occur if there are continual vaccines. A puppy or dog with any health issues should not be vaccinated, until the dog has returned to full health, and even then it is risky to vaccinate again, as the dog has shown it is highly sensitive to those toxins in the vaccines. And a vaccine again, may return all the symptoms that were healed, but the symptoms will be worst the second time around. A vaccine if warranted, is only for a healthy dog. A dog with an injury or any health issues, needs to get completely healthy first before buying a vaccine. As a vaccine is very hard on the immune system. Start doing your own research by searching Canine Seborrhea Natural Treatment. Canine Seborrhea Holistic Treatment. Canine Seborrhea Homeopathic Treatment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
We are supposed to be picking up our puppy in another state in 3 weeks and our breeder just discovered that our puppy has Seborrhea. Fortunately she shared this with us immediately and is giving us time to decide if we want to go through with picking her up. Will you please share your experience with dandruff, Seborrhea and your Golden? We want this puppy so badly and have been waiting for to bring her home from months. From what I have read, I will need to bathe her weekly with a special shampoo and vacuum daily. Does anyone have any other advice? I just want to make sure we are the right family for her and that I don't regret our decision.
If you share the registered names of the parents even if DNA testing wasn't done on the dam/sire we could look behind them and see if ICT is a possibility. It's not full proof, but it can provide a little clarity. You can PM me if you don't want to post them in the thread. This of course is taking for granted that there are some tested dogs in the pedigree but if you were on a wait list I would think it's a good possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
My smooch had big white flakes so bad we made his middle name Frosted flakes!! THEY WERE EVERYWHERE. It snowed every day!! I put him on Canidae Lamb and Rice all breeds and life stages. At the same time I started giving him Zesty Paws 5 in 1 vitamins. That was 3 months ago. He is 6 mos now and not one flake!!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top