Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
TippyKayak- I just saw your post. His diarrhea did clear up on Albon and then started two days after we finished the course, and then it stopped again on Flagyll (metro) and started a couple days after the course. Same way both instances. I know both of those products are also used for colon inflammation in general when the cause of the diarrhea isn't known though so I thought they may have helped in that regard (but also maybe contributed to the messed up flora?).... One other thing, while on Flagyl, he had formed stools, but they still were mushy when you picked them up - don't know if that indicates anything other than his food wasn't digesting well.

I guess I will see if we keep seeing recurring diarrhea. Today was the first time I didn't see any mucus in the formed stool, so it will be interesting to see how this continues...

·
16,000 Posts
Dr. Monomer is correct. Pepto Bismol does not contain aspirin, but a non-aspirin salycilate (related to aspirin). However, bismuth salycilate can be contraindicated when certain antibiotics are used.

As my eyes glazed over after the second paragraph, I didn't read his no doubt fascinating tome regarding probiotics. MY experience using the Nature's Farmacy product is purely anecdotal. And that experience, over the course of several years, had been that for my dogs, it has worked wonders.

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Well, even if there is disagreement about what I am trying, I can happily report that my puppy actually had a formed stool this evening. Hurray! I can only hope it continues. I know this doesn't mean he's healed. But I do believe I will continue along this natural route for the time being (although I guess the kaopectate wasn't exactly natural), but with the phytomucil (it's an all natural product to support healthy gastro function) and probiotics and little pumpkin. I'm kinda of a natural mom here - my kids (7 and 5) have only been on antibiotics twice in their life. I just feel that they can wreak havoc on your system (although necessary in many instances I know) but I believe they would have the same effect on a young puppy so I absolutely see the benefit of probiotics.

I'm going to keep him on this bland diet for several days and if things progress well this time, as I'm praying they will, I will try to start transitioning him to his kibble - which by the way is a new post. Does anyone use Great Life Kibble?
That's great news! Hopefully he's going to keep getting better from here on out. Good luck to you guys.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts