Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 12 week old puppy has car anxiety. It's not real severe, I had a Boston Terrior once who almost killed himself by hyperventilation due to his severe car anxiety, it's nothing like that. She doesn't go nuts but she is noticiably nervous, and insists on sitting on my lap, digging her claws into my chest, and burying her face in my armpit. This isn't the safest situation in the world, it makes it hard to drive especially as she's getting bigger, and even a minor accident would result in her crushed between me and the steering wheel.

I've been taking her for a short ride (less than 20 mins) every morning to get my coffee for almost a month now, and there has been no noticable improvement. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I try to hold her in the passenger seat, or restrict her to the back seat? I've considered going on a very long drive to give her more time to come out of her shell, on the short rides I think she's learning to just grab on and it will be over soon. Plus the freeway is a smoother ride, I think what bothers her is the motion sensation as I can feel her relax a little bit at stop lights, but tense back up when we begin driving again.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
My pup Misty had car anxiety/sickness, only she would drool and vomit. She is over it now.What I did was just sit in the car with her in the driveway and try to get her to take some treats, then I would just drive a little bit. I left the window opend a crack and I had the air on full blast. I took her for a ride every day and after a while..seemed long...she was ok..she would get nervous, but not drooling and vomiting. I guess what Im trying to say is make the car a neatr place to be where she gets her favorite treats. Good luck!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
PLEASE crate your puppy in the car.....
Not only will the puppy be safer but everyone else on the road will be too! Imagine if you were to kill someone....a child....if you were distracted by your puppy climbing on your lap! YIKES!!

The security of a towel, covered, plastic, airline-type, crate will also remove the viusal stimulation...which will help with any car sickness that may be going on...then do as you have been...short frequent car rides...feeding in the car can also work well....

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I would make shorter trips and then offer a reward, a big one. Drive a few minutes to get her an ice cream cone or something, something she'll really love. Or a few minutes to some fun place where she can explore and run, play in a stream or a pond ... anything that's exciting for her. The point is to get her to make the association that getting in the car means something really good is going to happen for her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts