Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, we got our Puppy last week, she is now 9 weeks old and she is the cutest. She is the typical mouthy land shark Golden. She loves to play and bite. We have 4 kids who keep her busy and run around our half acre with her. My husband tried to put a harness on her to walk around and she really freaked out, growling and everything, kinda surprised me. So we took it off. Anyway, I took her to the vet today and she had her nails clipped with no problems, just laid there. She has a little pimple on her belly Dr was checking out and she growled at him. He said, oh shes very feisty she has a little attitude have you noticed that? I thought well she loves to play and is so friendly loves everyone.. but didn't like the harness but I didn't think of her as having a bad "attitude" I know shes more assertive and not scared at all of her surroundings. Shes still just a tiny little pup. My 3 year old was grabbing on her and playing with her at the vet and he said oh well look, she doesn't seem to mind that all. He put her on her back and said oh well shes very submissive this is a good indicator, if they freak out or try to get up they tend to be more independent and feisty? she just laid there like whatever. but she did growl at the nurse checking her body out. Now I am curious, is this a puppy thing? I had only 1 Golden that I got little bit older back in the day who was more timid and had a more scaredy cat personality so she definitely had a different personality than this one. I am just curious if shes going to have a mean streak in her? He got me a little worried.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Nothing to worry about. She's a tiny puppy. Her entire life has changed and there's a lot for her to take in.

For the harness: little puppies don't need harnesses. Clip a leash to her collar and teach her to walk nicely.

For the vet: Look at it from her point of view. Less than a week after being taken away from her littermates, she's in a brand new place, she's being mauled by a human toddler, flipped onto her back by a strange man she's never met before, prodded and probed and clipped, and eventually she ends up growling ... She sounds like a perfectly good puppy who was just overloaded with new experiences and was expressing that. Give her a chance, and next time, try to minimize the sensory overload, maybe by keeping the toddler at bay.

I'd suggest getting her into formal training classes as quickly as you can, and involving the children in the training process. It won't be long before she becomes a 60 lb. bundle of of muscle and energy, and with a toddler in the house, you're going to want to have control over her to avoid injury. Training will also create a relationship where the humans in the household are in charge of the dog, and not the other way around. She'll also submit more easily to things like harnesses. In addition, a good training class will teach you to read her signals and worry less.

Best of luck with her. She sounds like a good puppy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok, thats comforting to hear. She definitely loves my little guy, shes more rough on him than he is on her. She's very playful. So far she seems to enjoy all the attention she gets from him, from all the kids really. All of that other stuff makes sense. Lots of new things going on. I did contact a local place that does puppy classes and I am just waiting for them to respond. Hopefully I can get her into classes soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts