Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have read this forum for a while but just joined to make a post. I appreciate all your knowledge in everything golden retriever related! I am now at a point in my life where I can see myself getting a golden within the time frame of a year or so. I have always wanted a golden and have done lots of research about the breed and had hands-on experience that makes me feel confident in my decision. I have found multiple reputable breeders in my area with up-to-date OFA clearances through the help of this forum.

I work at a school and during the school day am gone from about 8:30-4:00 (this includes my commute). I fully recognize that this would be too long for a puppy to be by itself, and plan on hiring a walker to come at least once during the day for the puppy. I have already found a well-vetted walker in my area. Once the dog has its necessary vaccinations there is a doggy daycare very close to my work so I would like to take the dog there some days during the week. Is this realistic? I understand the attention that puppies need and am more than aware of and happy to meet the dog's exercise and training requirements after my work day is complete. I often dog-sit for friends and family and have spent many nights up with puppies every 2 hours, I am no stranger to the work and lack of sleep that raising a puppy requires. I also found a local dog training club where I am planning to take the pup for obedience classes. I want whatever dog I get to have as good of a life as possible, but I also don't want to let my work get in the way of something I have always wanted to do.

My other question is based off this - when reaching out to breeders, would it be viewed negatively if I specifically asked if they are planning any litters in the summer months? Since I have summers off, this would allow for me to have much more time with the dog and get a jump-start with training, have the ability to spend all day home with the dog, etc. I am looking more for next summer (2021) as I recognize that the breeders are likely booked up by now for this upcoming summer, and especially with the crazy times we are living in breeding may be limited. I don't want to seem like I am cherry picking, I would be open to a dog at any time once I start reaching out but this would be ideal. Would breeders already have litters planned for 2021? Many of the breeder websites I have visited do not have litter dates listed.

Thank you in advance! 馃

Registered
I always appreciate it if someone has a block of time well timed for a litter. And I think most breeders do plan that far ahead- while no one can be certain when a girl will ovulate, once that's happened we can guess within a week when puppies will go home.

Super Moderator
I don't think breeders would be offended at all. This forum is an excellent place to check on breeders/litters & clearances so do post if you need help. Good luck on your puppy search, excited for you!

Kristy
Your schedule and a dog walker sound great for managing a dog. You will need to investigate the doggy day care pretty carefully, do some research on what is offered in your area. They need to have a lot of attention to detail and close supervision. Planning ahead like this gives you lots of time to get your ducks in a row, find a good vet and a good dog training club etc. Sounds like your puppy will be a lucky guy.

Registered
I am new to all this, but have a similar background to yours. We had been planning on getting a golden in a few years, but the whole COVID-19 work-from-home opened up a small window-of-opportunity to move our timeline up. But, we have many of the same concerns as you do with-respect-to what's "right"/"best" for the puppy, how to take care of the puppy while at work, not wanting to let "work" get in the way of "life", etc. So, our recent (like, puppy's coming home "for good" tomorrow recent) experience may help with some of your questions/concerns.

I have already found a well-vetted walker in my area. Once the dog has its necessary vaccinations there is a doggy daycare very close to my work so I would like to take the dog there some days during the week. Is this realistic?
The walker is a good idea. I suggest you talk to the doggy daycare before making any other commitments. My understanding is that most do not accept intact dogs, so that could be problematic. Since you're researching goldens, I'm sure you're up-to-date on the various debates about when to spay/neuter, and much of the advice for goldens may make doggy daycare a non-starter for the first 12-24 months (depending on your choices).

I want whatever dog I get to have as good of a life as possible, but I also don't want to let my work get in the way of something I have always wanted to do.
This is (was) a significant driver in our decision to use the whole COVID-19 work-from-home thing to move up our timeline. Also, since we're getting an older puppy (5 months vice 8 weeks), she'll be a bit older by the time fall rolls around and it's time to get back to school. We had not originally considered the "older puppy" route, but this seems to be working out well for us.

...when reaching out to breeders, would it be viewed negatively if I specifically asked if they are planning any litters in the summer months? Since I have summers off, this would allow for me to have much more time with the dog and get a jump-start with training, have the ability to spend all day home with the dog, etc.
From my (admittedly) limited experience, a reputable breeder should be more-than-willing to answer any questions you have. And, I have a feeling that there would be zero concerns about negotiating for a Spring '21 litter.

Good luck in your endeavors...

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice everyone! I鈥檓 happy to hear this sounds like a good plan and I鈥檓 going to start reaching out to a few breeders re a Summer 2021 timeline.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I am new to all this, but have a similar background to yours. We had been planning on getting a golden in a few years, but the whole COVID-19 work-from-home opened up a small window-of-opportunity to move our timeline up. But, we have many of the same concerns as you do with-respect-to what's "right"/"best" for the puppy, how to take care of the puppy while at work, not wanting to let "work" get in the way of "life", etc. So, our recent (like, puppy's coming home "for good" tomorrow recent) experience may help with some of your questions/concerns.

The walker is a good idea. I suggest you talk to the doggy daycare before making any other commitments. My understanding is that most do not accept intact dogs, so that could be problematic. Since you're researching goldens, I'm sure you're up-to-date on the various debates about when to spay/neuter, and much of the advice for goldens may make doggy daycare a non-starter for the first 12-24 months (depending on your choices).

This is (was) a significant driver in our decision to use the whole COVID-19 work-from-home thing to move up our timeline. Also, since we're getting an older puppy (5 months vice 8 weeks), she'll be a bit older by the time fall rolls around and it's time to get back to school. We had not originally considered the "older puppy" route, but this seems to be working out well for us.

From my (admittedly) limited experience, a reputable breeder should be more-than-willing to answer any questions you have. And, I have a feeling that there would be zero concerns about negotiating for a Spring '21 litter.

Good luck in your endeavors...
Thank you for your response! Congrats on your new pup - that鈥檚 great you were able to find an older puppy and I wish you the best!

Debbie624
Hi everyone, I have read this forum for a while but just joined to make a post. I appreciate all your knowledge in everything golden retriever related! I am now at a point in my life where I can see myself getting a golden within the time frame of a year or so. I have always wanted a golden and have done lots of research about the breed and had hands-on experience that makes me feel confident in my decision. I have found multiple reputable breeders in my area with up-to-date OFA clearances through the help of this forum.

I work at a school and during the school day am gone from about 8:30-4:00 (this includes my commute). I fully recognize that this would be too long for a puppy to be by itself, and plan on hiring a walker to come at least once during the day for the puppy. I have already found a well-vetted walker in my area. Once the dog has its necessary vaccinations there is a doggy daycare very close to my work so I would like to take the dog there some days during the week. Is this realistic? I understand the attention that puppies need and am more than aware of and happy to meet the dog's exercise and training requirements after my work day is complete. I often dog-sit for friends and family and have spent many nights up with puppies every 2 hours, I am no stranger to the work and lack of sleep that raising a puppy requires. I also found a local dog training club where I am planning to take the pup for obedience classes. I want whatever dog I get to have as good of a life as possible, but I also don't want to let my work get in the way of something I have always wanted to do.

My other question is based off this - when reaching out to breeders, would it be viewed negatively if I specifically asked if they are planning any litters in the summer months? Since I have summers off, this would allow for me to have much more time with the dog and get a jump-start with training, have the ability to spend all day home with the dog, etc. I am looking more for next summer (2021) as I recognize that the breeders are likely booked up by now for this upcoming summer, and especially with the crazy times we are living in breeding may be limited. I don't want to seem like I am cherry picking, I would be open to a dog at any time once I start reaching out but this would be ideal. Would breeders already have litters planned for 2021? Many of the breeder websites I have visited do not have litter dates listed.

Thank you in advance! 馃
I think you have a great plan. If you are ready for a pup this summer, there's a small chance that a breeder could have a last minute availability if he/she gets a cancelation. This happened with me last year. I got on my breeder's wait list in December of 2018 and didn't expect a puppy until the summer of 2019. Much to my surprise, I got a call from my breeder 2 days after returning from vacation in spring break and was told she just got a cancellation and has a pup available but I had to decide asap. We said "yes" and came home with my baby Coco who just turned 1 in February. So it is possible you can get lucky if you decided you wanted to try for this year. I also work at a school part-time (but was working Monday through Friday and home by 2:30). My neighbors helped out so much and let Coco out a couple times a day so it worked out. Puppies do require a lot of time but they also spend a lot of time sleeping when young puppies. I had a smart cam on her so I was able to watch her from work. I still use a smart cam when we leave but we don't really leave now due to the covid 19 pandemic and she is happy as a clam that she has us 24/7. Good luck in your puppy search. I think you have a put a lot of time and energy into your plan.

Registered

Thank you in advance! 馃
It seems like you鈥檝e put a lot of thought into your puppy. I think your plan is very realistic! Although you will be gone for work, you have an awesome plan in place for your puppy 馃檪 Also, many breeders plan their litters at certain times of the year (fall litter, spring litter, etc) I think they would be fine with you inquiring about a litter at a certain time of the year.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I think you have a great plan. If you are ready for a pup this summer, there's a small chance that a breeder could have a last minute availability if he/she gets a cancelation. This happened with me last year. I got on my breeder's wait list in December of 2018 and didn't expect a puppy until the summer of 2019. Much to my surprise, I got a call from my breeder 2 days after returning from vacation in spring break and was told she just got a cancellation and has a pup available but I had to decide asap. We said "yes" and came home with my baby Coco who just turned 1 in February. So it is possible you can get lucky if you decided you wanted to try for this year. I also work at a school part-time (but was working Monday through Friday and home by 2:30). My neighbors helped out so much and let Coco out a couple times a day so it worked out. Puppies do require a lot of time but they also spend a lot of time sleeping when young puppies. I had a smart cam on her so I was able to watch her from work. I still use a smart cam when we leave but we don't really leave now due to the covid 19 pandemic and she is happy as a clam that she has us 24/7. Good luck in your puppy search. I think you have a put a lot of time and energy into your plan.
That's very smart - I need to get a camera for sure! And what you said about cancellations too - I will definitely express my willingness for a puppy this summer if they have any openings. Thanks for your help!

Debbie624
That's very smart - I need to get a camera for sure! And what you said about cancellations too - I will definitely express my willingness for a puppy this summer if they have any openings. Thanks for your help!
When you do get a puppy, it helps to have a transitional object for them. Our breeder was ingenious, she raised the litter all with their own oversized stuffed bunny that almost served as their surrogate mother for when they went to their forever home. So Coco came home with this bunny that had the scent of her mom and siblings on it and she cuddled up to it as though it was her mom when she was in her crate. It helped so much that she never once cried when she was left alone at bedtime or when I left for work bc she had her bunny. Even the first night in our house. It has since had to be removed though bc she ended up starting to chew on it and want to pull it apart. So we have it put away until she's a big girl and out of this phase.

Reactions: Kathleen17
1 - 12 of 12 Posts