Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 week old male weighs 18.8 pounds. Does this sound about right? I added a few photos of him! He has been pooping less lately. He was pooping roughly 3 times a day and 4 times a day on rare occasion at some points but mostly 3 poops a day. He now has been 2 times a day last 4 days or so. His food was 1 cup + 1/2 cup for first 2 weeks but the last 3 weeks he has gotten 1 cup + 3/4 cups total food with a bit of peanut butter (when he gets his stuffed kong) food is: Purina puppy chow. Crude fiber is 5%, is that a good fiber amount ? His poops are perfectly normal though. In the next few weeks when my current bag is coming close to an end. I would like to slowly transition him over to Purina pro plan large breed puppy , or wellness large breed puppy? Thoughts on those two foods ?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
This graph suggests your puppy is on track. How much does 1.5 cups weigh?

I am not sure you need to worry about changing food gradually. Any dog food I present will introduce less change than the stuff Murphy chooses to put inside himself. If they can swap between trees and insects and soil on a whim, then why would swapping from one carefully crafted dog food to another carefully crafted dog food upset their tummy? What you might want to do is introduce the new food before the old one runs out in case a pet rejects the new food, but my understanding is that GRs don't have that problem.

Murphy is a few weeks older and eats about 1200g daily in 3 meals. His weight roughly tracked 1kg per week of age; 10kg at 10 weeks, 15kg at 15 weeks, etc. He is now slightly heavier than his age in weeks; which is about double the size suggested in the graph.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This graph suggests your puppy is on track. How much does 1.5 cups weigh?

View attachment 883488

I am not sure you need to worry about changing food gradually. Any dog food I present will introduce less change than the stuff Murphy chooses to put inside himself. If they can swap between trees and insects and soil on a whim, then why would swapping from one carefully crafted dog food to another carefully crafted dog food upset their tummy? What you might want to do is introduce the new food before the old one runs out in case a pet rejects the new food, but my understanding is that GRs don't have that problem.

Murphy is a few weeks older and eats about 1200g daily in 3 meals. His weight roughly tracked 1kg per week of age; 10kg at 10 weeks, 15kg at 15 weeks, etc. He is now slightly heavier than his age in weeks; which is about double the size suggested in the graph.
Wow! I’ll have to weigh my food and check that out but I got him at 11.4 pounds and it’s been exactly 5 weeks today; which he has gained 7.4 pounds in 5 weeks (1.48 pounds a week which is roughly (0.67kg a week) he was definitely one of the smallest puppies in the litter as well! Maybe he just grows slower as he may not be huge when he is fully grown

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow! I’ll have to weigh my food and check that out but I got him at 11.4 pounds and it’s been exactly 5 weeks today; which he has gained 7.4 pounds in 5 weeks (1.48 pounds a week which is roughly (0.67kg a week) he was definitely one of the smallest puppies in the litter as well! Maybe he just grows slower as he may not be huge when he is fully grown
There are lot of oversized GRs around, some as big as Newfoundlands. I am worried Murphy might turn into one of those, but I think the best we can do as owners is just make sure they are not too thin or too fat :)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I don't remember what Molly was eating in terms of cups at 13 weeks old. If I had to hazard a guess, I think she was getting 3/4 cup Pro Plan 30/20 2x a day (breakfast and dinner) and four heaping tablespoons of Pro Plan Puppy wet food for lunch. I do remember she jumped in food volume pretty early. I think we were at 1 cup 2x a day dry + a whole can of wet food 1x a day around 15 weeks old (I know we stopped puppy food before she was 20 weeks).

Re: weight, I think 18 lbs is fine. I don't have a log of weights (I should have kept them all in one place but I never do) but I remember her being the smallest of ALL the puppies in her litter. The first weight I remember sharing with the littermates was 16 weeks old and she was 33.4 lbs. She was 40 lbs at 20 weeks. 49 lbs at 6 months (24ish weeks). I swear we've weighed her since then but I cannot find the data to save my life at the moment. :)

Anyways, even if he grows slowly, he will catch up as he matures. :) I'd rather they grow slowly (provided they are getting enough food and are not malnourished) than grow fast. :)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Yes. I suspect it is more trouble to have height and strength before maturity.
You will ALWAYS have height and strength before maturity in large breed dogs. At 1 year old they have their body but they don't get their brain until 2 years old (sometimes even 3 years old). Which is why TRAINING is so gosh darn important. Start a puppy on the right foot and it helps you weather the storm that is when they are teenagers throwing tantrums like a toddler but in a full grown body.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't remember what Molly was eating in terms of cups at 13 weeks old. If I had to hazard a guess, I think she was getting 3/4 cup Pro Plan 30/20 2x a day (breakfast and dinner) and four heaping tablespoons of Pro Plan Puppy wet food for lunch. I do remember she jumped in food volume pretty early. I think we were at 1 cup 2x a day dry + a whole can of wet food 1x a day around 15 weeks old (I know we stopped puppy food before she was 20 weeks).

Re: weight, I think 18 lbs is fine. I don't have a log of weights (I should have kept them all in one place but I never do) but I remember her being the smallest of ALL the puppies in her litter. The first weight I remember sharing with the littermates was 16 weeks old and she was 33.4 lbs. She was 40 lbs at 20 weeks. 49 lbs at 6 months (24ish weeks). I swear we've weighed her since then but I cannot find the data to save my life at the moment. :)

Anyways, even if he grows slowly, he will catch up as he matures. :) I'd rather they grow slowly (provided they are getting enough food and are not malnourished) than grow fast. :)
Thanks! How much is she weighing now and at what age ? :)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Thanks! How much is she weighing now and at what age ? :)
She will be 9 months old on Monday the 14 and I haven't weighed her recently but I would guesstimate about 55lbs just based on picking her up. Dogs tend to plateau. They grow grow grow and then right around the 6 month mark the growing significantly slows down. For instance, my bridge boy Bear, he was high to mid 60s for about a year (from 6 months to 18 months) before settling into low 70s around 18 months old. Lana reached her 65 lbs around 18 months too. Depending on her condition, she fluctuates between 60-68 lbs (she drops massive amounts of coat and weight right before her heat for instance). I'll try to remember to weigh her tonight and come back with an actual data point. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She will be 9 months old on Monday the 14 and I haven't weighed her recently but I would guesstimate about 55lbs just based on picking her up. Dogs tend to plateau. They grow grow grow and then right around the 6 month mark the growing significantly slows down. For instance, my bridge boy Bear, he was high to mid 60s for about a year (from 6 months to 18 months) before settling into low 70s around 18 months old. Lana reached her 65 lbs around 18 months too. Depending on her condition, she fluctuates between 60-68 lbs (she drops massive amounts of coat and weight right before her heat for instance). I'll try to remember to weigh her tonight and come back with an actual data point. :)
Awesome
!! Sounds great

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
She will be 9 months old on Monday the 14 and I haven't weighed her recently but I would guesstimate about 55lbs just based on picking her up... I'll try to remember to weigh her tonight and come back with an actual data point.
Weighed my 9 month old last night. 55.6 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts