Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
we most recently brought home our 8 week old golden retriever puppy. Overall he is a sweet boy but we are having some issues. One is he is waking up wining every hour overnight in the crate. We would like to keep crate training him and would like any tips on how to get him to go longer than an hour and how often we should be letting him out of the crate when he does bark and wine those times. We also live in an apartment which makes letting him bark it out more difficult..We do have a snuggle puppy which he likes but is obviously not keeping him sleeping long.

secondly our pup doesn’t have the biggest appetite. I was told 3/4 of a cup per day in the morning and night and currently he’s eating about 3/4 of a cup total for the day trying multiple times to get him to eat. He is eating TLC puppy food, which is what the breeder was feeding him . He goes up to his bowl and takes a few bites then lays down and is over it pretty quickly. He is pooping regularly and drinking water (he just went to the vet and isn’t currently sick) so i think it’s just more of a picky eater. Do I switch the food, add chicken broth, wet it? We’re just not sure.
Any tips are appreciated!
- stressed first time puppy parents

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Lots is going on- puppy has likely never eaten without competition. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to figure that out.
I would not change food and as long as he's eating something, not add to it . I do wet all puppy food- adults too, for that matter.

Lots of puppies get up every hour til they get that figured out too- don't make getting up a reward in any way. Take out to potty, put back in crate. I 'm sure by tomorrow night, he'll be at least doing a 3 hour stretch. It'll get better!

·
Kristy
10,190 Posts
Hang in there, he's adjusting to major upheaval in his life. As long as he is drinking and eating a bit and playing a bit he just needs some time and patience. Be sure to keep a log of his schedule, notebook on the kitchen counter. Keep track of time spent in the crate napping, time spent playing, walks and outdoor adventures, what time he goes to bed at night etc. He is a little baby so all the phases of life will be in short increments during the day. Just be sure he is getting an uninterrupted nap in the late morning and again in the afternoon. Don't let him snuggle and sleep all evening while you watch a movie with your feet up. He can have a short evening nap but needs to be playing and engaging with you. The daytime activity makes him more apt to be tired when it's night time. If you keep a log, then you have something to look back on and see what you might need to change. Start working on obedience training and taking him places to observe the world. You can carry him places and let people give him a pet and a treat. Has he had a vet check yet? If you keep track of his weight, it may make you feel a bit better to see that he doesn't lose any weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots is going on- puppy has likely never eaten without competition. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to figure that out.
I would not change food and as long as he's eating something, not add to it . I do wet all puppy food- adults too, for that matter.

Lots of puppies get up every hour til they get that figured out too- don't make getting up a reward in any way. Take out to potty, put back in crate. I 'm sure by tomorrow night, he'll be at least doing a 3 hour stretch. It'll get better!
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hang in there, he's adjusting to major upheaval in his life. As long as he is drinking and eating a bit and playing a bit he just needs some time and patience. Be sure to keep a log of his schedule, notebook on the kitchen counter. Keep track of time spent in the crate napping, time spent playing, walks and outdoor adventures, what time he goes to bed at night etc. He is a little baby so all the phases of life will be in short increments during the day. Just be sure he is getting an uninterrupted nap in the late morning and again in the afternoon. Don't let him snuggle and sleep all evening while you watch a movie with your feet up. He can have a short evening nap but needs to be playing and engaging with you. The daytime activity makes him more apt to be tired when it's night time. If you keep a log, then you have something to look back on and see what you might need to change. Start working on obedience training and taking him places to observe the world. You can carry him places and let people give him a pet and a treat. Has he had a vet check yet? If you keep track of his weight, it may make you feel a bit better to see that he doesn't lose any weight.
Thank you for the advice! Yes had us first vet check up and is currently healthy and goes back in a few weeks

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Is his crate in your room or is someone near by? He's used to being in a pile of puppies so he may be lonely at night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is his crate in your room or is someone near by? He's used to being in a pile of puppies so he may be lonely at night.
Yes it is! And I’ve been falling asleep on the floor in front of the crate to get him to stop wining and fall asleep 🙃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts