Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the forums and saw somewhere that puppies are being weaned off puppy food from 4- 6 months. Are any of you doing that? Our female puppy is 16 weeks old and about 26 pounds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cody is now 15 weeks old and weights 31 pounds. The vet says his weight is correct.

We plan to follow the advice from the breeder: Two meals at 4 months old, and adult food at 6 months old.

·
Registered
926 Posts
My puppy turns 4 months old January 30th and had been on Adult (ALS) food for about 5 weeks now. I did a slow transition from 9 weeks (when he came home) to 12 weeks. The breeder wanted all the puppies on adult food by 4 months ol. Many breeders start the puppies on raw or adult when weaned.

Also, he is being fed twice a day now instead of 3 times a day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought Gbbar a big bag of pro plan puppy food when I got him. He is 4 months old tommorow. I plan to switch to adult food the moment the bag finishes (another few weeks) and am going to start cutting down his meals to twice a day tommorow.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Our kids stopped the mid day meal on their own in the 4th month. We went from puppy to All Stage food about the same time and use veggies, treats in the afternoon for training and gives their tummies something to tie them over until supper.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Our pup is 8 months. I always thought we had to keep him on puppy food until he was a year, but after reading this forum and posting some questions we decided to start the transition now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've heard conflicting advice from vet, trainer, breeder, and forum. So I thought to compromise by mixing half adult and half large breed puppy at 4 1/2 mos. so far so good.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
There really is so much conflicting advice... you need to make your own judgement. I have heard of a range starting at never feeding puppy food to up to 18 months of feeding it.

Beamer is still eating LB puppy food. I just bought another big bag of it. After this bag, I might consider changing it then.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My dogs all eat Wellness Just For Puupy(not LBP) until four months of age. Then they eat Wellness adult (not LB) starting at four months... I have very sound, healthy dogs...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Theres really only two main differences between puppy and adult food. 1) the size of the kibble and 2) the ingredients.
I use adult Blue Buffalo (salmon variety) its a med sized kibble and my Sully LOVES IT!
and its completely grain free which, if you do your research, is best for Goldens and their longevity.
I started Sully on it at 4 months (when i got him from the rescue) and he was only 19lbs (severely underweight). now he's almost 6 months and a healthy 40 lbs!
a good quality food means EVERYTHING, in my opinion.
good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had no idea! I really thought for some reason it was a year also. I just bought 3 bags of food for the puppies so maybe I will start mixing as that gets used up.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Mine go onto an all stages dog food at about 6 months primarily because by that point start to refuse to eat their puppy food and start to eat the other dogs adult (all stages) food.

·
Kristen; Buddy's Human
524 Posts
I'm wondering this too, mainly because Buddy actually steals my older dog's food! He seems to prefer it; I'm not sure if he prefers the fact that it isn't his or if he just doesn't like puppy kibble.

Right now we're feeding Science Diet (I know, I know) Adult Small Bites for Hiro, the adult dog*, and the Science Diet Puppy for Buddy. Buddy's three months old.

*isn't it weird how some adult dogs - even big dogs - refuse to eat large kibble? When I was a kid, I had a chow-husky mix and she would not eat the bigger kibble, but her companion dog, who was a much smaller chow mix, would eat anything.

·
and River!
168 Posts
My understanding (based on my own research) was that you should keep a puppy on large breed puppy food until around a year old because they should be finishing up puberty/most of their skeletal growth by then. The idea is that large breed puppy food helps to slow down skeletal growth, allowing growth plates to fully fuse into dense bones rather than grow too rapidly into long /weak ones. The large breed puppy food usually has adjusted protein, calcium, and phosphorus levels to regulate skeletal growth. Regular puppy food, all life stages food, and adult food just won't do that.

See Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings and Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble for food recommendations. I stick mostly with 4- and 5-star foods, myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts