Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to visit the litter tomorrow that our little boy is coming from...any suggestions? It will be my husband, myself, our 4 and 2 year old.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Take your camera and post pics of your new baby (if you've already chosen one).

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
How old are the pups? My breeder made us take off our shoes so we didn't bring in germs. We were also supposed to change clothes after we touched our current dog.

If the breeder didn't mention it I would bring a little blanket or towel for the breeder to put in with the litter before you bring your puppy home so that it smells familiar the first night home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pups are a little over 4 weeks old. The visit will be to the litter...the breeder is going to do most of the choosing--since she spends most of the time with them and knowing we have two little kids at home we are hoping for a good disposition--but who knows maybe we will just 'click' with one of the puppies and want that one. The last time we saw the puppies they were only a little under a week old so we were not able to go near them or any of her other dogs.

Thank you Susan--that is a great idea about the blanket/towel!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Look at the toys your breeder has in the pen...I bought a large stuffed dog like my breeder had and took that with me the time I went to pick her up. We talked for about an hour and all the time that doggy was in the pen with the litter, climbing over it and lying on it, etc. When we came home I put the doggy in her crate. She's 4 months old now, and still loves to sleep on it!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I brought a towel to leave for a week before I picked up Holly. Its in her crate now. I have 2 crates so I cut it in half so she has the litters scent in both. It seemed to help her last night...lets see about tonight......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hope your visit went well. When do you get to decide which pup you are having? Our breeder helped us to choose as well but we had to wait until they were six weeks old. We finally chose Max on Wed & bring him home next Friday. Go as often as you can in the next few weeks, they change very quickly in just a few days!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! The visit went well--we still weren't able to touch the puppies because of them not having the first shots yet, but they were very interested in us and seemed very healthy and active.

Unfortunately for us, we live a few hours away so many visits just aren't in the future and we won't see them again until we go to pick him up in March, so it will be a long month for us.

I'll have to post the pics from the visit soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts