Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading to the vets on Friday for par/distemper. Our immunizations have been altered to a slower schedule as Finn had a significant adverse reaction. Pre-medication with Benadryl before his appt. His reaction was SOB, fast heart rate , temp and fast breathing(sluggish as well). We think with narowed it down to par/distemper. Has anyone experienced this? I am in the dread feeling at this time......

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Do you know if the vaccine contained Leptospirosis? Sometimes the vaccine is given with it mixed in and sometimes not (depending on the clinic). Usually if anything is going to react in this vaccine, it is the Lepto portion (which is why it can be mixed without it).

Reactions: abowman

·
Registered
926 Posts
@ abowman

I was going to ask the same question Rainheart did. Does it contain Lepto?
I knew in advance to make sure Lepto was not included. My puppy's dam has a
severe reaction to Lepto and that is why. When the dog does have a reaction to Lepto it is normally advised to give as a single vaccine at 1 year.

·
Registered
304 Posts
read this link

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/CanineVaccineGuidelines.pdf

...I got my vet to agree to all of this....we do a 3 yr rotation not only with rabies, but distemper/parvo also after complete puppy round. We omit lepto entirely! Not worth the risk, too many reactions....very low incidence of lepto in our area & all you need is round of antibiotics if they get it. Not telling anyone what to do, just what works for us.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
While I don't disagree that not every dog needs to be vaccinated for lepto, treatment is not always as simple as giving them antibiotics. I know of two people who almost lost their dogs to lepto-it was a long and expensive treatment and recovery, and both of these people caught it fairly early but it progressed very rapidly. With Lori's dog, it went from not eating all of her breakfast to near death on the way to the vet, with a very high fever and seizures. It is nothing I want to mess with. It is present around where I live, and I do vaccinate for it in the spring.

I do not give it to puppies until they reach 12 weeks of age at least.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think Lepto is something to talk to the vet about, mainly your lifestyle and the dogs. I agree not all dogs need to be vaccinated for it, but a lot of them are at risk. All my dogs have gotten lepto without problems (though it tends to be smaller dogs who react, but not all).

I believe Dallas Gold's Toby almost died from Lepto, so maybe she will chime in here.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I also think it is usually the Lepto that give a vaccine reaction and mostly in smaller dogs, was anyway in the clinics I worked in.
None of my dogs ever had a lepto vaccine reaction, even my dachshund did not. But of course, not all dogs are the same and have the same tolerance. I did have a friend in PA whose golden retriever puppy contracted Leptospirosis and almost died from it.
I noticed that my vet does not always have Lepto listed in the yearly vaccines, but I think that depends usually on which batch of vaccines a clinic buys, what deal they get.
When I lived in Georgia in the 80s, the vaccine did not include Lepto but it had Corona virus vaccine in it. In Michigan and in Tennessee, the vaccines never included Corona virus. I guess, it depends if there are cases of it in that area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts