Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my golden, he is 11 weeks tomorrow according to our breeder and he looks pretty small. Our breeder also gave it to us as a sick dog so we can probably expect that everything he told us is a lie. From comparing pictures online, he really doesn't look 11 weeks at all. I attached some pics.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
Welcome, Congrats on your pup.
Have you taken him to the Vet for a checkup since bringing the pup home? Since you said your pup was sick, I am guessing you have.

He doesn't look 11 weeks to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
such a cute boy..im attaching my baby's picture down cause he was smaller than the remaining pups of same age but i dont think your pup is more than 7 or 8 weeks max
IMG_20190826_173326.jpg

·
Registered
600 Posts
He does look young, but check his puppy teeth (are they all in?)..It looks like he is eating his kibble..if so, does he chew it or gulp it down?

I am thinking 7-8 weeks as well^^^^^, but your vet knows better than anyone.

CUTE to the MAX!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Teeth are the only way to age a puppy and once they are in (around 4 weeks), til they start losing teeth (around 14-15 weeks) , that is a window of time that they are not useful for aging. He could be anywhere from approx. 8 weeks to that claimed 11 weeks. For 11 he does look immature but he may just be small. Below 8 weeks the testicles are often not in his scrotum (not totally reliable aging) but he would likely have all his deciduous teeth. Is this puppy AKC registered? It would be exceedingly difficult to "fake" a DOB more than a day or two when a breeder registers a litter, since breeder has to register puppies by gender and one could not guess they'd have (say) 4 girls and 4 boys 3 weeks before they were even born. They COULD however register a litter the day they were born and claim they were born earlier, but even that would be hard to pull off because in theory there'd be a stud dog owner who'd have to agree to this deception and also because when they did the vet visit for go-home/health certs, the vet wouldn't buy an age 3 weeks off. I'm guessing he's really 11 weeks and just immature. The easiest way to age them once teeth start dropping is to watch for the canines to come out, because they are easily spotted as gone at around 16-18 weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Teeth are the only way to age a puppy and once they are in (around 4 weeks), til they start losing teeth (around 14-15 weeks) , that is a window of time that they are not useful for aging. He could be anywhere from approx. 8 weeks to that claimed 11 weeks. For 11 he does look immature but he may just be small. Below 8 weeks the testicles are often not in his scrotum (not totally reliable aging) but he would likely have all his deciduous teeth. Is this puppy AKC registered? It would be exceedingly difficult to "fake" a DOB more than a day or two when a breeder registers a litter, since breeder has to register puppies by gender and one could not guess they'd have (say) 4 girls and 4 boys 3 weeks before they were even born. They COULD however register a litter the day they were born and claim they were born earlier, but even that would be hard to pull off because in theory there'd be a stud dog owner who'd have to agree to this deception and also because when they did the vet visit for go-home/health certs, the vet wouldn't buy an age 3 weeks off. I'm guessing he's really 11 weeks and just immature. The easiest way to age them once teeth start dropping is to watch for the canines to come out, because they are easily spotted as gone at around 16-18 weeks.
He is not AKC registered. Also his testicles have not fallen yet and that kind of concerns me, it says online they should've already falled by now. And no none of his teeth have fallen off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Aidan was 22lbs at 12wks. My pup looked much bigger! I’d say 8wks tops! I wouldn’t worry about his testicles right now because Aidan’s didn’t drop both until he was over 20 wks old. I worried about that forever, but finally they dropped.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
His testes may never drop.
So when he starts losing teeth watch for that canine tooth to disappear and then you can be relatively certain of age at that point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does him being sick involving stop his growth? He has giardia. Possibly roundworms, definitely fleas. All are being treated, this breeder told us so many lies that's why we don't believe the date he was born. Also, when we got him (around 8 wks) he was limping, because he had just started walking. I know dogs don't start walking until around 4 weeks, but at the time we got him he did not look 5 weeks comparing pictures on Google if he really is 8 weeks right now. (That would be the time we got him, 5 wks if he really is 8 weeks old)

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
Yes. I believe parasites can make for small puppies. Generally once the parasites have been treated they eventually catch up and are normal sized. My family friends have a boy who was very very small as a puppy...among other issues, and he did also have a bad case of giardia. He never ended up being normal size though, he’s very very short still although he weighs about 55 pounds now..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts