Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brady's Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering how early you were able to start teaching your puppy tricks? My new golden puppy, Brady, learned his name, sit, and down at only 8 weeks! At 12 weeks, he now understands "off", "up", and can rollover. I feel so proud! We are stilling revising the rollover thing, but I can't believe how fast he learned everything! This is the smartest dog I have ever owned, by far.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Puppies can begin learning tricks very early. Some breeders will teach behaviors before the puppies go home and some service dog programs start training type activities with 4-5 week old puppies.

Keep having fun with your puppy!

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
I started teaching sadie when she was around 9 or 10 weeks. So far she knows, sit, down, stay, roll over, spin, crawl, bow, paw, high five, and wave. Shes a very quick learner.

·
Captain JONAthan Toews
947 Posts
My pup is 9 weeks old (I've had him for 1 week) and he only knows his name and sit. I can not get him to go down for anything. I tried from a sit position bringing my hand down very low but will just stand up and try to get the treat that way. He understands "come on lets go" or maybe he's just following my voice, I dont know. I have a very stubborn golden :doh:

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
My pup is 9 weeks old (I've had him for 1 week) and he only knows his name and sit. I can not get him to go down for anything. I tried from a sit position bringing my hand down very low but will just stand up and try to get the treat that way. He understands "come on lets go" or maybe he's just following my voice, I dont know. I have a very stubborn golden :doh:

No...you have a 9 week old puppy!!!!!My guys were like 8 months before they would lie down (without my assistance)....Lincoln still has the occasional issue with it. These are things that you'll learn at obedience classes......

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Very much a puppy. Ask in puppy class or basic training class and the instructor will show you a few tricks.

One might be to sit with a leg out in front of you, with your knee about 8" off the ground...lure your puppy under with a treat...feed him as soon as he lies down.

Or just toss him a treat every time he lies down on his own.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts

Edwin, Tess is almost 8 months and doesn't know as much as Sadie!!! Once you take him to classes (like obedience), he's learn a lot! And furthermore, you will learn the right way to teach him. I sometimes felt frustrated, reading on the forum what some puppies could do, but Tess isn't very interested in tricks like that. Give Tess anything to do with her nose and she'll jump to do it! Give the guy a break, he's 9 weeks old! Oh, and about the language: I wondered how Tess would do, given the fact that we have to do everything in two languages (Dutch and English). Just the other day I noticed how well she is doing with that, even complex sentences like: 'If you are thisty, your water is in the kitchen, just go and get it' make her do what is said, whether in Dutch or English. She probably only understands the basic words like 'thirsty, water, kitchen, go', but once they get a bit older, things go so much faster!

·
Brady's Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since my last post, Brady has essentially perfected rollover as well as a new trick "play dead" for which I say "bang" and he falls over. So funny! He is so smart! I still can't believe he is learning so fast and easily at such a young age!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Our pup is 10 weeks and he's not learning very fast compared to other pups I've worked with but that's okay. We use a clicker to speed things along. You can tell he's thinking in his head when you give him a command, he just can seem to understand. You can see the wheels turning. :)

In my experience, smart isn't always ideal. Anyone who has owned a border collie can tell you that. lol. We have an incredibly intelligent cat and a day doesn't go by we don't wonder how much nicer it would have been to have a dumber cat. Kitty has learned "sit", "down", "stay", "shake a paw" and to open every door, closet and bag we have. Our closets have child locks on them because of the cat! A few months ago our cat opened the closet where the dog food is, ate through the bag, dumped it onto the floor and then walked away while our adult dog ate half a bag of kibble and had stomach issues for the next week! It's his way of saying, "dog, I don't like you, you smell and I'm going to get rid of you". He's like Stewie, but in cat...

But I digress...if your puppy isn't learning quickly, it's ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
We also started teaching tricks at 8 weeks, since one of our books recommended early training to intellectually stimulate them. The book actually said to not expect any results but now she knows multiple tricks well (come, sit, stay, up, down, roll over, high five). I say "well" and not "perfectly" because a verbal cue isn't enough and we still need to make a motion for some of the tricks, like waving our arm in a circle for roll over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.