Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is now 6 months. When I let her run free on grass, sometimes she'll dig up a piece (or finds something) and when I try to get it from her she runs off. I know she thinks it's a game (yes it's cute!) but I don't want this to become a problem when she's older. Who wants to have to grab a dead bird out of their mouth? ewww

Any training tips on how to get her to drop it/stop running away from me? She doesn't run away from the perimeter - just every time I get close enough to grab her she bolts.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
keep her on a leash or let her drag a long line....everytime she runs off she is learning to be better at dodging you...

dragging a line...gives you a chance to step on the line and then work on getting her to come to you with plenty of cheerleading.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes to what LibertyME said, to control the situation. And while she is on that long lead, make coming to you the most wonderful thing in the world. Bend down, open your arms, then treat, treat and treat some more. For us, it has taken time. Maggie is 3 1/2, and I am loving that she wants to stay close to me.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Yes, it is fun for her, she thinks it's a game. Just be sure to carry a pocket of treats when she's off leash. Practice recall often giving a treat (and praise) each time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i think you should keep her leashed untill
she has recall. start teaching her "leave it",
"drop it", or "no" or whatever command you want
for leaving something. don't wait untill your outside
to teach recall or leave it. i always train in short sessions.
i have many sessions during the course of a day.
i train indoors and outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts