Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have been waiting over a year for Oliver. Unfortunately when it was time to take him home we were in the middle of quarantine. We picked him up at 8 weeks old and he is now 14 weeks. I have been watching videos so as of now he knows sit, lay, stay, and off. We are working at potty training and for the most part he having only the occasional pee accidents in the house (like one or two a week but i know this doesn't mean he is potty trained.) At night he sleeps from 9 to 6:30 sometimes 7 in a covered crate with no whining. I think we got really lucky as he is very good during the day with the occasional puppy hyper time in the morning but here is where i need help-

I am going to be going back to work in the next month and he has not been crated during the day regularly. He gets crated when i go on runs or to the store or when i need to go up to the office.I try not to take him everywhere with us because I don't want to cause him to get separation anxiety (which he will play by himself and lay around the house by himself and he doesn't really follow us around unless we are in the kitchen). What should i start doing now to help him get ready for when we are back at work? I did notice today when i was out for an hour his bed was wet (from drool).
Also last piece of information is we will be working from 7:30-4:30 but he will have a puppy sitter (aka our mothers) come from 11 until after 12:30 to hang out with him and let him out until he can stay in the crate longer. Do you think we should keep him in the crate in the bedroom? OR we have another crate with can put in the kitchen and attach it to the play pin?

I am really just looking for help so when we leave he doesn't start regressing. Sorry for all the information i just want to be sure i provide it all to get the best advice. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My baby is a day sleeper. She takes a long nap from 11 to 2:30 .. on her own .
I would consider starting to put your pup in the place he will be for a couple hours a day . If you will be leaving at 8, maybe from 8 to 10 and again from 1 to 3 .. when you go back to work it won't feel so new.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Our puppy is 23 weeks old. Accordingly, when he was old enough for his first training class, at 12 wks. we started a weekly class with an obedience trainer. We had pre-enrolled in this prior to the C19 Virus scare. As it turned out only two people signed up for the class, so we were under 10 people and had no trouble keeping a distance from each other. We completed our 5th class Monday night, they start at 6:30pm and go for an hour every Monday night. Our last one is next Monday.

Depending on you local rules, you too may be able to find an Puppy Obedience Class. Check with the AKC website and your local Golden Retriever Club or even a local Lab Club...they usually go for 6 sessions/ 1 per week. They usually have them on a week night and on a Saturday. I paid $125 for ours. The time to learn how you teach obedience to your puppy, is really what these classes are all about. You learn to teach! And that is something every dog owner needs to learn and in time learn to be very good at teaching you dog! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I agree with Dunmar... Start practicing his new schedule now. Young puppies (and dogs for that matter) sleep A LOT, so the only thing he's losing is his freedom and your company. Set up a schedule similiar to what he will experience when you go back to work. Basically in the AM he gets fed and played with and then put back in his crate about the time you'd leave for work. Take him out again about the time you would expect your parents to come by, and then back in again about the time they'd leave, etc. If he has trouble settling, you can put him to bed with a stuffed Kong toy to help him settle and have good associations. Note however that the Kong is just for this acclimation period. While he's young, eating will keep him awake and put something in his tummy... which will mean needing to go out to potty afterward (so be prepared to take him out again a bit after he finishes the kong... then back into the crate again). Hopefully once you go back to work he won't need the kong anymore (and if you are still crating him when he's a bit older and more able to "hold it" you might be able to go back to giving him the kong). Once he's doing well in his crate with you around, start leaving the house for longer and longer periods (even if it's just to take a walk or work in the yard or something). Making the amount of time he's alone unpredictable might help him learn that your coming and going is no big deal. I bet he'll do better than you think he will...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.