Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Major's dad
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Major is only 18 weeks old now and my first pup. He often touches or pushes objects with his nose. I've only been working with the basics with him so far so I'm not sure if touch is a command later on. is it? I swear in the miles of threads I've read somewhere about touching.
Should I be rewarding him and saying "touch" every time he does this to maybe save me some time later on?
Sorry for the odd, random question :)

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
I say yes. Touch is a command that can be taught..and it was taught in our obedience class as a pre-req to 'gentle.' :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
it is a 'fun' trick...then can learn to push open or close doors...push baskets...push soccer balls back and forth...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yes, in puppy class we trained the dogs to touch a target stick. Then you can use this behavior to help the dog learn other behavors quicker, like where to heel, how to go to its mat, etc... If you search on "target stick", you can find lots of articles.

My first trick was to teach Cookie how to roll a ball with her nose. We were both so proud. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Touch was taught in our first puppy class. Maya would bring her nose to the palm of my hand. It was one of the first commands she learned.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I love teaching touch to palm since it allows you to teach many skills down the line without having to lure the dog with a treat. I like to keep treats in the reward side of the equation as much as possible and avoid luring/bribing with them, so the palm touch is a huge asset for me.

You can use it, for example, to refine your dog's recall skill. If he runs past you (a common problem) or stops a few feet out of reach (an even more common problem), you can use "touch" to show him where he has to go for his reward.

Teaching him to touch objects like a ball or a yoghurt tub lid can be really helpful for skills that involve precise movements at a distance from the handler. I'd use a different cue word than "touch" if you're saying "touch" for the palm, but I'd absolutely reinforce the skill now, as long as he's offering the behavior spontaneously on his own anyway.

·
Registered
586 Posts
"touch" does help in refining recall--Maya is still iffy on "come" --to your point tippykayak, she will sometimes overshoot, or stop short. So when she is close, I can signal touch (sometimes I don't even have to say the word anymore--just place my hand out at my side with open palm), and it usually brings her nose right to my hand! I had to come up with a new hand signal for teaching "stay" though--whenever she saw my palm, she was lunging to touch it with her nose!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts