Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am a new mom to 2 Golden Retriever puppies. Our oldest will be 14 weeks this weekend. We have noticed that his fur is getting a bit darker and coarse on his back -- guessing this is his adult fur coming in. But, he is still relatively short haired. Can anyone tell me when typical puppy's fur grows longer and begins to feather? Also, I was looking into a good puppy shampoo, but I have been advised to just use a high quality dog food for a lustrous coat instead of placing the priority on the shampo. Any advice?:wavey:

·
Registered
215 Posts
We love Miracle coat as far as shampoo is concerned....Legend is 7.5 months old and he has a beautiful coat already, but it really depends on genetics...What did your puppies parents look like?? I can empathize with having more than one puppy at a time, GOD BLESS YOU!

LOL

Here is a new pic of Legend...

He has beautiful trim on his tooshy and his tail....He has always had a pretty coat except when he was growing that yucky coarse coat in at the same age you are talking about...It evens out pretty quickly!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Maggie is 21 weeks and she still has short fur... she is getting real dark and the fur is getting course, down her spin the fur is very wavey, also down her tail.. looks like a Z pattern, she is feathering around her tail and neck.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Samson has the exact same thing. He's four months old now, and he's got a streak about 5 inches wide down his spine. It's been widening.... His tail is getting longer, and the hair on his ear is getting longer, along with his chest.

I am looking forward to it all coming in. The streak looks a little odd for now.

Rick

·
3 goldens
11,669 Posts
I have read of some dogs that took over a year for their fur to really get long and get real feathers. Buck was 6 months old when we got him and looked more lab than retriever. His full brother from a previous litter got his pretty coat much sooner than Buck did. KayCee and Hunter both had long puppy fur and were quick to get their long fur.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try your shampoo recommendation. I was just wondering about his coat, but it sounds like he's within the normal range. Westley's fur is still somewhat soft, but he's lost the fluffy new puppy fur. I guess, like children, all puppies grow at different paces. I'll keep an eye on the streak down his back. He's grown so much that maybe his fur just needs time to catch up. His parents had very shiny and thick feathered fur, so maybe I'm a little anxious to see what he'll look like when he "grows up."

·
Registered
68 Posts
This was the best tip i ever got and it was from my breeder, because lets face it we all want our dogs to have a nice shiny soft thick fur and i have found that the best thing for that is 2 things..... ready.....wool wash, i know it sounds funny but dogs have fur like wool and a lot of shampoos take there oils and vitamans from the coat and thats why it ends up dry and course. Also i give my dogs a maintaining biscuit from eukanaba which i find my dogs would do back flips for and gives them not only that shiny coat but also is great for there internal organs, eyes and teeth. I love it and swear by it.

Alison

·
Registered
414 Posts
It can take almost 2 years to get full coat with all feathers.

For great coat, you need good food. Do not buy grocery store food, you need to go to a pet food store.

Shampoo, we use Mane'n'Tail, which you can get at Walmart and we like it a lot. Not sure if you can use it on puppies. But, we almost never wash Clancy. In the sumer he swims a lot, in the winter he rolls in snow a lot. Too much washing can be harmfull.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I nearly fell over when i seen that pic of legend, he looks almost like a twin to my roxy, its uncany ha ha. If my husband ever re connects my camera up to the pc i can show u a pic. MEN HA HA HA

·
Registered
227 Posts
Glad to hear this is normal for our pup, she's also getting the coarse hair down the middle of her back, such a nostalgic "bye bye soft puppy" feeling when I pet her. I just love that puppy coat.:( I've noticed a thickening of fur behind the ears, its real lush and still soft, and her throat and chest are VERY soft, I love it!

·
Mandy's Home
148 Posts
Mandy's fur is really starting to show growth. She has thicker fur now around her neck and upper chest. Her tail hair is growing also. I always look for the hair on her feet to grow alot then it seems it all starts to grow and thicken.

·
Registered
445 Posts
How beautiful they all are. Short story. We lived in California for a year so I had to find a new groomer. Mostly for bathing and nail trimming etc. I told them the only thing I wanted trimmed on Jimi was the hair that grows on the top and bottom of his paws. Bottom tends to ball if too long. All was great for a year then one day I took them in and as always I stated to only and I mean only trim his paws. Would you believe when I picked him up they had cut his tail which was so long and beautiful, his hind area which was long and white, his neck and all underneath. Talk about someone majorly upset. I cried for a day. On top of it all it was a crappy job, all chopped up. When it starts to grow back I guess I will have to have it trimmed to make even. Would you believe when I spoke to the owner he offered me a free visit? Like I would be going back there....

·
Registered
208 Posts
i'll agree that good food makes for a good coat. Bear also has the wavy back hair..i love it, so cute :) he also has white hair on the underside and undertail. beautiful ..a very proud mommy. he coat has really grown the last month (he's 8 months) just had his first trip to the groomer. it went well, but now i am a little worried since i have read all the stories about bad groomers.

·
3 goldens
11,669 Posts
If this works, this will be picture of Buck at 8 months and as you can see, his fur was really short. Then one of him taken in the back yard a few years back, and also one of him in the hall taken a couple of weeks ago. He is watching as Daddy gets the leash to take him for a walk. You can just see the anticipation on that old graying face.

Attachments

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Quick question ,.... how do u get the picture of your dog on your reply post?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts