Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are puppy teeth a good indicator of how the adult teeth will grow in? I've noticed Kahuna has some CROOKED puppy teeth, but I'm hoping that's just the angle they're being pushed out by the adult teeth.. Please tell me that's the case haha I don't want my handsome boy to have crooked teeth!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Moose's bottom teeth are slightly crooked, but his puppy teeth were straight and when they started falling out, I remember one was crooked and i was in a panic that his teeth would all be like that. The way it fell out caused the adult tooth that took its place to be crooked. I don't know if Kahuna's will like that or not.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Casper's new teeth looked a litte crooked to me at first, but now they are all just right. I think the teeth grow out and jaw grows at the same time, and there is some pressure on the teeth from other teeth and it all works out in the end. As expected.

The funny thing was when I was researching to get the puppy. I read all about the hips, eyes, hearts, and elbows. Then I read something about "full dentition". Arg, another thing to worry about! And after all those, are you supposed to ask the breeder if all the dogs have "full dentition"? But I've had a few other dogs and they all had their teeth, so why would I worry about that, of all things. Then I was at a dog show and this woman pulled back the lips on her doberman (for some reason I can't remember) and the dog's teeth were horribly crooked. I'd never seen anything like it! Seriously, it was like some of the teeth were completely on the wrong side of his mouth.

And I'll end all this by saying I could never be a dentist. I can't stand dealing with teeth.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
It's only one tooth of his that's crooked. I blame myself sometimes because I would keep wiggling it hoping it would fall out lol. We never found one of this teeth as he was losing them and I was determined! lol. But we found 3 of his back teeth as they were fell out anyways

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I don't think it is really much of an indicator unless the entire mouth is messed up (Missing teeth, very very crooked). Beamer had perfect puppy teeth but when his bottom incisors grew in, some came in slightly crooked. It doesn't really bother me too much.

Reactions: My Big Kahuna

·
Registered
869 Posts
When a puppy gets to the point where they are 3-4 months old, it is just better not to look!! hahaha :) When the baby teeth get ready to fall out they can look crooked, brown, mismatched, have huge gaps in between them and everything in between. That is all normal.

The puppy teeth falling out are no indication of how the adult bite will be.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When a puppy gets to the point where they are 3-4 months old, it is just better not to look!! hahaha :) When the baby teeth get ready to fall out they can look crooked, brown, mismatched, have huge gaps in between them and everything in between. That is all normal.

The puppy teeth falling out are no indication of how the adult bite will be.
Phew! Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Puppies are a lot like kids when they are getting their adult teeth - smiles with gaps, mismatched teeth...it's all part of growing up. Unless you are going to show your dog, doggie teeth will do a great job of tearing up food, toys, your shoes (or.......).

Brewer had a missing tooth on one side (second cutting tooth about halfway back) as a pup and he never had that tooth as an adult either. He didn't notice and I didn't care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts