Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
OceanGolden
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy is just about a year old (we'll have to switch forums soon, but this seemed like a puppy question!)

She is PERFECT 95% of the time. She's the sweetest cuddler, patient, quiet, never barks, just wants to participate in all activities etc.

When we take her on walks, she is excellent (never pulls) BUT then suddenly-- as though out of nowhere-- she'll go silly and start jumping up on us vigorously and trying to nip at our gloves etc. It's as if she just gets a crazy burst of energy, out of nowhere. Why does this happen???

It doesn't seem like anything in particular sets her off...she doesn't mind noise or cars or other dogs. Sometimes she'll get upset when someone across the street looks exciting but doesn't come over to pet her (ha!), but we really haven't identified any "triggers".

We usually use a harness or front lead harness.

Once her little tantrum is over, the walk will be great again.
We bring a little spray bottle with water and say "No jumping" calmly-- but sometimes she just thinks it's a game. We always carry a toy, which sometimes can distract her into behaving... but not always!

Anyone else have this problem!? Please tell us your tips!! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 3 yr. old and an 8 month old. The 8 month old started doing the same thing in the last few weeks. The 3 yr. old did that during his first year to year and a half. It usually starts when they hit soft dirt on the sidewalk or in the grass. At first I thought it was cute and funny, but then it got to be too much for me as the older one got bigger and stronger. I stopped it by standing still and making him sit until I saw the crazed look leave his eyes. If that didn't work, I grabbed the leash close to the collar, put him in a sit and then yanked down hard on the leash with a firm "no". After doing that a times, he got the idea and stopped. I'm doing the same thing with the 8 month old and it's working. He is much easier to work with then the older one. Older one has a stubborn streak. I chalked it up to pent up energy. The walks are just not enough sometimes. They need to run hard and fast. Now that I have two, they chase each other around the yard. Maybe you need to get another one too. :)

·
Registered
13,873 Posts
My last Golden had a couple of full-on tantrums on walks when she was about 9-10 months old. I had thankfully read about it, and so when it happened, I just stood there and let her get it out of her system. It's kind of like a 2 year old child in a grocery store. Reacting to it just makes it worse. But you stand there feeling absolutely mortified that your pup is being so bratty! But it did pass, and she only ever had about two. I think it's just an age thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.